Sign in to follow this  
torsten329

Daiwa Zillion Casting Rods

Still trying to decide what rods to purchase.. Leaning towards the Zillions, but still considering Dobyns. Any thoughts about the Zillions? Or why I should get Dobyns instead?

I have the 6'6'' Med XF and I love the rod, i use it for "Finesse" rod. Its light, well balanced and imho very sensitive.  The Med feels more like a MH btw.  Ive never used a Dobyns rod before but Ive heard good things with there 2nd generation rods.  I guess they had some problems when they first came out but that's all i really know about them.

I have a 7'M Zillion that I use for finesse type baits, shakey heads, tubes, and jerkbaits.  It puts any other M rod that I have used, or even felt,  to shame.  I love my zillion rod and actually have a 7'MH coming that I just bought, literally 15 minutes ago.  Mine is paired with a Daiwa alphas 103 and it's just an amazing setup.  The weight and balance are almost unbelievable.  I recently caught a 5.1lber out of a tree line on a 3 1/2'' tube on 12lb flouroclear and never once felt the rod was underpowered.  Just to look at the place I caught it you would immediately pull out the flipping stick for heavy cover.

As for the Dobyns rods, I have only used the

Savvy Series and the Zillion definitely over shadows them.  In the $130-150 range, Savvy, but for a $200+ rod, the Zillion.  Granted, I haven't fished a champion, with the exception of a gen1 swimbait rod that is lighter than my 6'6''M pro qualifier, but from all my experience, the Zillion takes the cake.

A few things about the Zillion you may want to take into consideration: The rods are under rated and the reel seat takes a little getting used to, it can be uncomfortable at first.

What baits are you going to throw with the rod?

Zillions tend to be stiff at the tip which I prefer for almost all single-hooked baits. I have the 6'9" MH that I use for spinnerbaits and tight quarters plastics/jigs. I really like it. It is very crisp and the details are fantastic. It also has a very sensitive and lightweight blank.

Looking at getting 6'6 MH F or the 6'9 MH XF. Looking for a solid "do everything" kinda rod. I wanna get one for single hook baits and one for treble hook applications.

I personally would not get a Zillion for treble hooks. I'd get something with a softer tip, but that's not everyone's preference.

I personally would not get a Zillion for treble hooks. I'd get something with a softer tip, but that's not everyone's preference.

x2

they are stout rods, the M is the best suited for trebles and it's terrible for cranks.  I really like it for jerkbaits but that's about it. 

i have both. the zillions are light and super "crisp". however, as others have mentioned, they're kind of underrated powerwise (their M feels like other manufacturer's MH, etc.). they're gorgeous rods and look like a million bucks. however, what i don't like about them is that: 1) they don't come with a hook hanger (not a biggie), and 2) reels sit really low in the reel seat (i have large hands and it makes everything feel "too" small for me.

i love my dobyns, especially the 735...most versatile and most-used rod i own. i especially like that i can get it in a full grip...split grips look cool but i still prefer the feel and handling of a full grip.

not everyone cares but if you're concerned about aesthetics, the lightish metallic blue of the dobyns is a little hard to match with a decent reel. a green curado E on it just throws my eyeballs out of whack. i ended up with a daiwa coastal zillion on my 735 and citica Es on my other dobyns. but, that's just me. :)

I love the looks of that reel. I was actually looking to pair the coastal with whichever rod I end up getting. How do you like the Coastal? Think it would pair well with the Zillion?

x2

X3