Sign in to follow this  
slickdub

Pure Fishing Mitchell 300Xe

Any opinions on this reel. I'm looking on the cheaper end (spinning reels under $50). I am looking for medium action reel (4:1) and up. Usually use 8lb test.

My current 4 bearing Quantum Energy reel is bout to kick the bucket. Been great but have had it for 5 years or so. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I do most of my fishing around ponds and lakes from the bank. If that helps any.

Thanks in advance :)

post-21524-130162928648_thumb.jpg

Pflueger Trion..........39.99

Any reel under 50.00 will do if you're not fishing much.

The Pflueger President is a proven design, and can be had for around $60 delivered.

Having fished both that Mitchell and the Presidents, I vote for the President :)

FWIW - and this is solely my experience and opinion.

Years ago was at the beach and bought a Mitchell light surf rod combo. I liked the rod and the reel was "metal construction" so thought for the $$$ was a decent setup as I was a total noob.

After the third day or so the reel got very "sticky" and rough feeling even though I cleaned it every day. After a week of heavy fishing the drag TOTALLY died. Was so bad that when I got home got to the point could not reel in the line. When got home thought would send in for warranty repair/replace but before doing so thought I would just take a peek in there.

Shocked.

The drag was a single plate with a flimsy spring and ball-bearing/plastic cup for the click. But more disappointing was that *ALL* the gears were plastic. The only metal was the drive and spool shafts. After seeing that I didn't want it replaced with another one. I was surprised it lasted a week!  Not sure if all Mitchell's are like that, but, I will not own another one - reel that is. (the rod on the other hand I stripped down, put on new guides and tip top and paired with a SaltStriker 30 reel and is now and outstanding light surf rod for reds, specs and the occasional pomp.)

I agree with others - go with a Pflueger Trion or President.

I have the Mitchell 308Xe on the "trunk combo" that goes everywhere with me. It's definitely not the smoothest reel on the market, but it gets the job done. I got mine out of the clearance section of my local Walmart for $15, and for that price I'm pleased. I don't know if I'd be as happy with it for $50, though. In that price range I'd definitely be looking at the President or the Shimano Sonora.

thanks for the insight.

How do we feel about the Okuma Avenger?

I have the Mitchell 308Xe on the "trunk combo" that goes everywhere with me. It's definitely not the smoothest reel on the market, but it gets the job done. I got mine out of the clearance section of my local Walmart for $15, and for that price I'm pleased. I don't know if I'd be as happy with it for $50, though. In that price range I'd definitely be looking at the President or the Shimano Sonora.

Oh wow. 15 bucks. hmm thinking twice now. A lot of people say the president I just cant justify 70 bucks right now. Wedding in 2 months across the country :'(.

I cant figure out the differences of the mitchell 300xe and the pure fishing mitchell 300xe. I understand pure fishing owns michell but the picture I put above doesnt match the pictures of the one on Mitchell's website.

I am reading some good things about the Okuma Avenger and Shimano Sonora

I snagged two Sonora 2500's for my oldest boys out of the same clearance bin for $15 each as well. :)

I went back later that evening and grabbed the last two Sonoras, and saw the poor little Mitchell sitting there for the same price, but it didn't really interest me. About that time a guy walked up with his little boy, looking for some inexpensive reels so he could take his boy fishing. I wound up handing him the Sonoras (it really made his day) and grabbed the little Mitchell instead.

As I said before, it's not a bad reel...just not a $50 reel. I think they're less than $40 at Walmart, which is about right.

FWIW, mine looks just like the pic you posted.

EJ, sounds like you were using a freshwater reel in saltwater, not surprised, probably a real piece of sh---, that said I've been using a supreme ( not xt) in saltwater for nearly 2 years, smooth as the day it emerged from the box. Every salt reel I own is exceptionally smooth, I don't use oil, I use corrosion block.

Back on topic imo the trion is well worth the $39