Sign in to follow this  
authentic

Fenwick HMG vs Quantum PT Superlite

I can get a great deal on a Quantum PT superlite rod or a Fenwick HMG. I'm looking for a great ML all-around rod. Something that makes it a blast to catch all the 14" bass I get into around here. I can get the Quantum for under $70 and the Fenwick for under $60. I was planning on the Fenwick, when I found the deal on the Quantum. I can't find any reviews on it, but it's regular price is $230. I'm just not sure about the foam grips on it. I have some friends that love their HMGs. Just curious if anyone on here has experience w/either or both of these? Or, if you think there is a better ML rod in that price range.

I have two HMG spinning rods. Lightest and most sensitive spinning rods I've ever used, but I've always been a $50 rod guy until this season. I will say this about the ML that I have though, it's a strong workhorse and can handle bigger bass than 14".

Thanks Catchnm. I've always been a cheap guy, up until last year. I started getting some nicer equipment, and have realized how much it helps. I can actually get the HMG for right about $50, if I order soon. Also, there's a good chance of getting into some over 20" at the lake I fish, which is absolutely huge, for here in Nebraska.

I know a lot of people who like the HMGs, I just wish I could find out more about the Quantums.

Last year The Natural posted quite a few positive comments about the Superlite.  If you have the patience, a search into 2009 will probably give you some insights.  I've been intrigued by the Superlite because the casting models have the ACS reel seat.

The HMG is well established as a classic at its price point.  At half price, even better :) 

I have a 7' M/F Superlite casting rod. I thought I got a killer deal @ $100 from Cabela's a while back when they had them on closeout.

I am very happy with it. It's very lightweight and sensitive. I've used it with topwaters, spinnerbaits and Senko's. I have it paired with an '09 Revo Premier. With the skeleton grip, the rig's a bit tip heavy

Foam or cork, on a spinning rod your hand is on the reel seat anyways

I love my HMG flipping rod. I'm tough on rods and usually don't spend more than $50. The HMG was double that and well worth it.

I have several HMG rods.  One finally wore out after 10 years of hard use.  I found the Lifetime Warranty very satisfactory.