Sign in to follow this  
via

Need help in rod selection

hey guys, i am going to buy two baitcast rods and i was wondering what kinds of rods i should pick.  I want one of the rod to be used for spinnerbaits and the other rod for finesse soft plastics.  I also want the rods to be lightweight.  My price range for each rods are $100 to $200.  Thanks for any information. 

check out the st. croix avid series. you will find plenty of reviews on here and they have a great warranty.

Yeah, I was going to suggest an Avid or a Shimano Crucial. I'm torn between these two rods myself right now and can't decide.

Avid AVC68MXF

8-)

Not sure what length a rod you prefer, but I'd get myself a couple of Shimano Cumaras.  If you toss small spinnerbaits 1/4 to 3/8oz most often, I'd get the 6'9"Medium Reaction Series rod - if it's more often 3/8 to 5/8oz, i'd get the 6'9" Medium Heavy Reaction rod.  Retails at $199 but can be found for less. 

Finesse plastics I always think 1/4oz or less, so I'd go with the original cumara series in a 6'8" Medium Extra Fast tip.  It's soft enough to present finesse plastics well, but gives you a bit of backbone in the event you need to step up a little bit.  They retail at $219, but can also be found for less - sometimes in the flea market here! 

Powell 683C or 703C - $139.99 from Tackle Warehouse with free shipping.  And, I think there's still July 4th 15% discount going on through today.  I currently have the 703C and it is extremely light and versatile. 

I was looking on *** website and saw the Damiki Dark angle casting rod and also the Kistler Micro Magnesium casting rods.  Are these any good?

I have a 7' med. magnesium ts.  Not micro though.  Love it.  I also have a 6'6" Helium ltx and a 7' lta.  I really like all my kistlers!  Some people don't care for their warranty,  but I feel that the rods are worth the risk.  Personally I haven't broke too many rods in my life.

I also really like my Dobyns champion 733c.  I used to be a Loomis guy and still think they make great rods.  However,  for the $ IMHO its hard to beat Kistlers or Dobyns.