Sign in to follow this  
KYntucky Warmouth

Looking for a L or UL spinning rod

what are your suggestions.  I'd like to have something around 7' and 1 piece preferably.  Wanting it really for bluegill, crappie, and maybe bass with crappie jigs.  I've already got a reel so I'm just interested in rod suggestions.

I have had a hard time finding one piece rods in that length, power and action.  You could go with the Avid Series if you don't mind a 6'6" rod.  Powell has a 6'8" model.  For a little more than $200 you can get into the Dobyns Champion Series. 

AVS66LF- 6'6" Light Fast  4-8#  1/16-1/4oz. $160

681LEFS- 6'8" Light Fast  4-10#  1/8-3/8oz. $140

701SF- 7'  Fast      4-10# 1/8-3/8oz. $230

Break your budget completely and you can get into a sweet Legend Elite. 

LES70LF- 7' Light Fast  4-8#  1/16-1/4oz. $300

I have had a hard time finding one piece rods in that length, power and action. You could go with the Avid Series if you don't mind a 6'6" rod. Powell has a 6'8" model. For a little more than $200 you can get into the Dobyns Champion Series.

AVS66LF- 6'6" Light Fast 4-8# 1/16-1/4oz. $160

681LEFS- 6'8" Light Fast 4-10# 1/8-3/8oz. $140

701SF- 7' Fast      4-10# 1/8-3/8oz. $230

Break your budget completely and you can get into a sweet Legend Elite.

LES70LF- 7' Light Fast 4-8# 1/16-1/4oz. $300

I've really had trouble finding one too, I may either start looking at ML or go for a shorter rod.  I'll probably go shorter, the Powell has been on my radar since I decided to start looking.  I have two of their BC rods and really like them.  I'd love to throw $300 down on a rod but if I did, this wouldn't be the rod.

Thanks RW but I'll pass, I'm really looking for a willow branch of sorts which makes me not want to go above light power.

If you want to go medium light, BPS's Carbonlite is a pretty nice rod. It's 6'9" though

I bought this rod last year and loved it for fishing crappie. Can be had for around $100.

http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=4153

I've been looking at Fenwick, specifically the Elite Tech River Runner, 7'2''L sounds like it may be the ticket

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/prod.php?k=378070&sk=378070&p=PURERR58UL-F%20(1205787)

St Croix has a 7' one piece. Avid Series Ultra-lite

AVS70ULF 1pc  2-6#line, 1/32-3/16 lure wt, weighs 2.6oz.

I know nothing about it though.

I have Avid 8' ML 2pc that is great with gills & bass under 18".

St Croix does make an Avid 7ft ultralight, which has  already been pointed out.  I have one and really like it.  But i prefer the 6ft Avid ultralite for some reason.  I use mine for bass fishing.  Wacky rigged worms, mostly.  I've pulled in 4 bass so far at 5lb+ this year on it, and another 3lb this morning.  I would highly recommend either one.