Sign in to follow this  
The Bassinator

Leader length when fishing braid

I was on versus.com the other day and I saw a pro tip by larry nixon about attaching your leader to braid on spinning gear.  He recommended the blood knot for attaching it but my question was how long should you make the leader?  He said not to make it so long that you have to wind it through the top guide but how short can it be? Heres the link:

http://www.versus.com/blogs/flw-outdoors-fishing-tip-of-the-week/linking-braid-to-flourocarbon/

I would do atleast a foot minimal. But there are a lot of variables. For example lure type, water clarity, cover etc. I've been using no leader for a lot more stuff especially topwaters,fast baits, and heavy cover fishing. A well tied knot usually isn't felt in the guides. Some people use 5ft+ in really clear waters.

I've always used about a 6' leader

Edit: I only really use 6' so I can retie alot without having to attach a new leader.

The longest length leader for braid should not be any more than the distance from the rod tip to the reel or rod hook hanger. If a longer one is used, you have defeated the no-memory property of the braid.

For me, 90 yards or so is just about right.

I use about 8 feet personally.  It really is personal preference IMO.  But the reason I use 8 feet is because I compulsively retie at the smallest amount of damage to my leader.  It gets shorter real quick.

And I highly recommend the Alberto Knot over any other knot for braid to leader connections.  :)

I use about 8 feet personally. It really is personal preference IMO. But the reason I use 8 feet is because I compulsively retie at the smallest amount of damage to my leader. It gets shorter real quick.

That's pretty much how I do it, to. A little dab of superglue on your knot and it'll hold up to all kinds of abuse.

I think it's funny how some folks wouldn't ever think about using a leader on superlines until "The Pro's" finally caught on to it. Late.

I've always used about a 6' leader

Edit: I only really use 6' so I can retie alot without having to attach a new leader.

I'm with you on this one.  It takes enough time out to retie a double uni-knot once without having to do it several times a day. 8-)

And I highly recommend the Alberto Knot over any other knot for braid to leader connections. :)

x2  I've tried a bunch of different connections, and none have worked as well as the Alberto.  I've got complete confidence in that knot.  I don't worry about it breaking when I rear back and set the hook anymore.

I use a leader thats about the length from the rod tip to the top of the reel seat.  Generally about 6' or so depending on the rod.