Sign in to follow this  
SkilletSizeBass.

Revo stx outcasting the Revo Winch?

I've got a Revo stx mounted on a G-Loomis GL3 mbr 783c 6'-6" med./heavy fast action 10-17lb. 1/4-3/4oz , and I also have a revo winch mounted on a St. croix avid ac66mhf 6'-6" med. heavy/ fast action 10-20lb. 3/8-1oz..... my question is, I get much better casting distance out of the Revo stx than I do the Winch when casting lighter lures, do you think its because the STX just casts better than the winch? Or, is part of the issue the with the rods? I just think the STX casts much better, esp. distance wise, but the winch seems to have a better retrieve ratio for cranks. :-/  what do you guys think? switch the reels and test it that way?

id swap the reels from rod to rod and see for yourself what the difference is.

id swap the reels from rod to rod and see for yourself what the difference is.

Yea, I think I'll try that and see if its the same results. I was curious if anybody else has used these 2 reels and if they thought the STX just casts better. I like both reels, just for different situations.

I have both reels and feel the opposite of you.....I have tried both reels on my jig rod....a Dobyns 734. The Winch will outcast the STX, but not significantly. The Winch also feels more refined.......Myself, I would trade the STX for another winch in a heartbeat....

I have both reels and feel the opposite of you.....I have tried both reels on my jig rod....a Dobyns 734. The Winch will outcast the STX, but not significantly. The Winch also feels more refined.......Myself, I would trade the STX for another winch in a heartbeat....

;D, well there ya go. I think I'll reverse them and see what happens. On lighter cranks my stx outperforms my winch quite a bit. Now, I seem to like the retrieve rate better for cranks on the winch. I may look and see if they make an stx that is lower geared than 7-1.

Perhaps the winch needs a little servicing?? :-?

What's going on is normal.  The Winch is not a light bait reel.

The STX will outcast the Winch with lighter lures.  The STX has a shallower spool and when loaded with line is a lot lighter.  It's easier to start the spool so a lighter lure will start it easier than the Winch's heavier spool.

My Winch never did cast light lures well.  It cast them, just not well.  The Winch shines with lures 1/2 oz and over.  The STX cast lures down to 1/4 well.

;D, well there ya go. I think I'll reverse them and see what happens. On lighter cranks my stx outperforms my winch quite a bit. Now, I seem to like the retrieve rate better for cranks on the winch. I may look and see if they make an stx that is lower geared than 7-1.

The STX comes in a 6.4:1  and 7.1:1 ratios.

What's going on is normal. The Winch is not a light bait reel.

The STX will outcast the Winch with lighter lures. The STX has a shallower spool and when loaded with line is a lot lighter. It's easier to start the spool so a lighter lure will start it easier than the Winch's heavier spool.

My Winch never did cast light lures well. It cast them, just not well. The Winch shines with lures 1/2 oz and over. The STX cast lures down to 1/4 well.

Micro nailed it.

What's going on is normal. The Winch is not a light bait reel.

The STX will outcast the Winch with lighter lures. The STX has a shallower spool and when loaded with line is a lot lighter. It's easier to start the spool so a lighter lure will start it easier than the Winch's heavier spool.

My Winch never did cast light lures well. It cast them, just not well. The Winch shines with lures 1/2 oz and over. The STX cast lures down to 1/4 well.

That sounds about right, thanks micro :(

Do you have the same line on both?

Yes both have the same line. After I looked up in my closet, I had so many different lines, I forgot which line was on it ;D Its either P-line Floroclear 12lb. or P-line cx premium 12lb.

Later on if I decide to pick up another reel, I may look at the lower geared stx, but then I'd have to have a new rod too  :-/

You can always use one more rod & reel setup!  :( ;D