Sign in to follow this  
RobbyZ5001

Glass Rods

Has anyone ever switched from graphite to glass, and absolutely hated the rod? If so why?

I have a dobyns 704cb champion crankbait glass rod.  This is the lightest glass rod that I've ever held in my hand.  It's very forgiving.  Feels like a noodle to me, but I don't lose fish when I get them hooked even if I only got one crankbait hook on it.  Casting wise, it's very good.  I would recommend this rod for medium divers as it's tip is very very forgiving and loads up so nicely, yet you can still drag the fish without worry of it throwing the hook.  Hope that helps.

I have a dobyns 704cb champion crankbait glass rod. This is the lightest glass rod that I've ever held in my hand. It's very forgiving. Feels like a noodle to me, but I don't lose fish when I get them hooked even if I only got one crankbait hook on it. Casting wise, it's very good. I would recommend this rod for medium divers as it's tip is very very forgiving and loads up so nicely, yet you can still drag the fish without worry of it throwing the hook. Hope that helps.

Can you feel the crank bumping cover?

Has anyone ever switched from graphite to glass, and absolutely hated the rod? If so why?

i bought my first glass rod, lamiglas XCF-705R, mail order sight unseen and having never handled it. when it arrived, i thought i hated it...it was like a heavy, wet noodle. it sat in my garage rod rack unused for 4-5 months and i thought i would turn around and try to sell it but i decided to fish it just one time to see what it was like. lo and behold, i loved it. i used to hate fishing cranks because of all the missed strikes and fish that would become unbuttoned on the way to the boat but that all went away with the glass rod and crankin' is now one of my go-to techniques. i have since bought ten more crankin' rods (6 glass and 4 graphite) but have turned around and sold most of them.

btw, if you want a glass rod that doesn't feel like a glass rod, get the dobyns 705cb glass.

Yep.  Tried the KVD launcher for a day.  Hated it.  Heavy, clumsy, and although you can feel "things" with it, not enough for my tastes.

I'll stick with my Avid Crankers - AVC70MHM and AVC70MM for most of my diving baits.  From DD22 to Daiwa Peanuts, I'm covered by those two rods.

Tried the KVD launcher for a day. Hated it. Heavy, clumsy, and although you can feel "things" with it, not enough for my tastes.

I tried the David Fritts glass crankbait rod a couple of years ago and felt the same way.

Timely thread for me. The Monkey has been egging me to buy that Lamiglas Excel glass rod on sale at the internet crack house (TW)

You guys have me extremely worried. I bought two cranking rods without feeling them, and based my buying decisions off of places like TT, other members, etc.

I bought an American Rodsmiths Fritts Glass Crank Rod 7'6" Medium. I based my buying decision solely on the opinion of someone who I have 100% confidence in. He does a lot of deep cranking, and I trust him when it comes to cranks.

I also bought a L.C. Cranking Rod 7' Medium Fat Mini Magic glass rod. I bought this rod on a few different aspects. One the price is right. Two TT gave this rod a lot of credit for being a quality rod as well as very fairly priced. The LC rod was one of the favorite rods out of 30 rods in crankbait wars.

Here is a review that I read that helped lead to the decision to buy this rod:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewluckycraft701mf.html

I will say that those glass rods that are close to 8' fling a big bait a mile.  If you aren't covering grass cover, and want the bait in the zone longer,it might be the right choice.  Not really for me.

I will say that those glass rods that are close to 8' fling a big bait a mile. If you aren't covering grass cover, and want the bait in the zone longer,it might be the right choice. Not really for me.

You said what I wanted to hear. I got the American Rodsmiths rod for deep cranking. I really was sick of working hard, and only having it where I thought was the strike zone for 10-15 feet.

I bought an American Rodsmiths Fritts Glass Crank Rod 7'6" Medium.

Every single deep crank I've thrown in the last 5+ years has been thrown with that exact rod. The feel is good enough to know what's going on with your bait and the flex once you hook up is awesome. I very seldom lose fish on that rod.

I bought the magnum Skeet rod and don't like it. I don't like casting with it, it seems to cause me backlashes cause of the whipy tip,I have to keep that in mind when casting it. So I'm going back to graphite for deep cranks. plus it's really heavy. Maybe the Lamiglass excel or dobyns glass is better, but after the skeet rod, I'm sceptical.

I haven't fished with the KVD rods at BPS but in handling the rod in didn't feel heavy at all to me and in fact felt very light. The one I was handling was the 7' model with plans to possibly use it for shallow to medium divers if I purchased the rod.

I bought the magnum Skeet rod and don't like it. I don't like casting with it, it seems to cause me backlashes cause of the whipy tip,I have to keep that in mind when casting it. So I'm going back to graphite for deep cranks. plus it's really heavy. Maybe the Lamiglass excel or dobyns glass is better, but after the skeet rod, I'm sceptical.

Same here on the skeet rod, biggest POS there is.

I've got the 7'MH Lucky Craft and love it.  It is very sensitive and easy to distinguish between rock, grass, and wood.  It's kinda heavy but nowhere near unfishable.  The action of the rod is pretty stiff for a crankbait rod but it's got a tip to launch a bait and the backbone to play the fish.  If you don't like the 7'M I'll take it off your hands  :D

I've made the switch from graphite cranking rods to glass recently. Specifically, from a GLoomis Bronzeback cranking rod and an St. Croix Avid MH crank rod to the Dobyns 705CB Glass cranking rod.

I've had the rod for about half the season now and absolutely love it. Its extremely light and more than sensitive enough with a Curado 200E5 spooled with 12 lb. Yozuri Hybrid. If anything, after using it for awhile I feel like its almost more sensitive in some ways. Plus, I lose a lot fewer fish and they are hooked much better.

Just my .02!