Sign in to follow this  
MarkM

Spinning rod suggestion/reel match

I recently purchased a Pfleuger President 6730 thinking of matching it up with a medium light rod, like the St. Croix Premier 66MLF or 70MLF (which has yet to be purchased), for use with lighter (<1/4 oz) and weightless baits for small pond bass.

However, since purchasing the reel I've been second guessing what rod power I should get for this fishing and one that would be a little more versatile. I'm now considering one of the Powell rods like the 703 MEF, which seems to still be able to throw the light baits, but has more backbone. Is the 30 size Pfleuger too small for this rod?

Which is the better choice - the Powell or the St Croix?

The 30 size is a good size for lighter line.  The 703 would be a good choice, I'd rather have a stronger rod.  I throw crappie jigs on my 7'M-XF Damiki Dark Angel with 8lb flourocarbon without any trouble

I fish that same reel and it balances nicely on a 7' Med/F custom with a full cork grip. Unless you need to throw 1/8 oz or less baits a long way, you'll get more versatility and be confident fishing heavier cover with the M/F.

Thanks for input. That makes my decision easier and where I was leaning.

Looking at other rods in a slightly less expensive price range than the Powell, I really like the Shimano Compre 7' M/XF. Lure weights state the lightest is 3/16 oz, but would it be able to cast weightless plastics?

Searching, I haven't found many rods of medium action capable of tossing 1/8 oz (or weightless) in the ~$100 range. The BPS XPS 6'8" can, but is this better than the Compre?

What are your opinions on the Abu Veritas rods? They make a 6'6" M/XF. Just looking to find the best bang for the buck.

I might drop the $$ for the Powell, just looking for other options to save some coin.

I have the Crucial (next step above the Compre)7' m/xf and it casts my 1/8 lure a decently. I have the baitcasting version though so Im scared to go any lighter or cast any harder, so for a spinning rod/reel It should be fine for you.

But if your casting 1/8 or less I suggest you maybe look at some ML/XF rods.

Also, this is kind of a given, but use the correct line size. 20 lb line is not going to cast a weightless worm very far. Follow your rod and reel recommendation.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

I went to Dick's today and picked up the 6'6" M/XF Shimano Compre. A couple of test casts in the back yard with a 1/8oz jig seem like this will work out for my purposes. Yeah, I probably would get a bit more distance with a 7' rod, but 6'6" is great for me. Nice rod and balance with the reel. I've read a few complaints about the notch in the foregrip. Personally, I like it...I have small hands and my index finger fits comfortably at this notch...should aid in sensitivity.

Now, I need to get to the lake to put it to use!

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

I went to Dick's today and picked up the 6'6" M/XF Shimano Compre. A couple of test casts in the back yard with a 1/8oz jig seem like this will work out for my purposes. Yeah, I probably would get a bit more distance with a 7' rod, but 6'6" is great for me. Nice rod and balance with the reel. I've read a few complaints about the notch in the foregrip. Personally, I like it...I have small hands and my index finger fits comfortably at this notch...should aid in sensitivity.

Now, I need to get to the lake to put it to use!

I like the notch. In my mind, it helps in the sensitivity department.