Sign in to follow this  
Carrington

What gear ratio for swimbait rod

Hello, looking to buy a swimbait rod soon that will throw anything from 4" to 8" swimbaits.  What i am wondering is if i get a conventional round baitcasting reel what gear ratio should i get the reel in?

You don't have to have a "round" reel unless your fishing for stripers ect..for bass I've used my Chonarch BVP 101, which I still use now and then. A reel such as the Shimano 300 will work.

I prefer a 5:2 to 1 reel, although I do use a 7:to 1 allot. You can always slow down, but it's hard to burn a bait with a 5:2 to 1 vs the 7: to 1 reel.

You will get different opinions on reels, just as you re: rods for certain swimbaits.

i was wanting a round reel due to the fact that i would probably be thorwing 20-30 pound florocarbon line and just wanted the spool capacity

ya i saw those, they are just expensive.  thats kinda the reason for looking at a cheaper shimano round baitcaster.

The Cardiff 300 would be a decent choice.

BTW, I've spooled my Curado 301 with 25lb mono..still have plenty of line..Bass don't make long runs, like a striper would.

I've got a Cardiff 300A on my 8' MH Muskie rod filled with 80lb braid.  I think it's a 5.8:1 ratio and it does just fine.  I've also got a revo toro 50-HS which is a 6.4:1 ratio on my 7'9" MH swimbait rod.  I like both reels but think I prefer the Cardiff.

thanks guys i was actually looking at the cardiff i think i may buy one in a month or so.  thanks for the help

I had a Cardiff 300 and gave it to my brother when I  "upgraded" to a Curado 300. I should have kept the Cardiff.

The new Curado 200E series will hold more than enough 20# fluorocarbon. I can't speak about how much 30# because I don't use that heavy of a line.

It's not just the line cap, but also the weight of these swimbaits and the strain they can put on regular low pro reels. 4-6oz swimbaits can be a lot on a regular low pro reel. For baits over 4oz I use a Daiwa Luna 300, but used to have a Calcutta 400.

It really depends on how heavy of baits you're throwing.. 8" Swimbaits can weigh 1oz or 6oz, there's a big difference.

I use a Curado 300E and it's not a bad reel, but I don't cast baits over 3oz with it. Probably could, but feel much more comfortable with a round reel for the heavy stuff.

Was reading some older threads and had to bring this one back up.

Curado 300 is the most versatile reel around! Its WAYYYYY better than a Cardiff 300. Curado 300 is a little BEAST of a reel. Ive used mine from 1/2 ounce jigs to throw hudds. But i mostly use it for my hard swimbaits. JSJ to 8 inch lunker punker. Baits in that range. Its got a faster gear ratio than i like for softbaits.. It hold PLENTY of line. 20-25-30lb it handles it all! Its DEFINATELY worth the price it is! You can look around and Find the old D versions for less than 150. Its the same as the E just an extra bearing and different color i think, Someone correct me if im wrong though..