Sign in to follow this  
webertime

Flipping and Pitching with Fluro or Mono?

I've been F&P all summer with 50 lb braid (Citica/Hvy C-stick/Tufline) and I've caught a fair amount of fish but have wondered how many I've missed due to fish either seeing the braid or by just plain yanking it out of their mouth. I know I've done the latter a bunch.

For next year I was curious about switching to Fluro or Mono for a bit more stretch and less visibility.  In affect helping in both areas that I feel I'm a bit weak.

Anyone out there have any recommendations, advice on the subject?

Braid for heavy cover or real stained water, and Flouro for everything else you flip/pitch.

Between flurocarbon and mono, I'd go with the flurocarbon. 17 or 20lb. Honestly though, if your fishing for largemouth in grass, I wouldn't give up on the braid, it is the way to go in any vegetation reguardless of water clarity IMHO.

Yeah, I fish a ton of grass/veggies.  That Ike video (breaking the Verdict) was shot in a bay that I fish all the time. 

Between flurocarbon and mono, I'd go with the flurocarbon. 17 or 20lb. Honestly though, if your fishing for largemouth in grass, I wouldn't give up on the braid, it is the way to go in any vegetation reguardless of water clarity IMHO.

I agree. You could use a 4' fluro leader if ya want, I'd go 20 to 25 lb. Just make sure you tie a Good knot.. :)

I agree. You could use a 4' fluro leader if ya want, I'd go 20 to 25 lb. Just make sure you tie a Good knot.. :)

x2

If I'm fishing heavier stuff I'll put on at least a 20lb fluoro leader.  For the most part though, straight braid for me when flipping.

Fluorocarbon.  :)

Ike was fishing fluro in that shot.

I've come to believe that braid is best for frogs, top waters, heavy grass on top, and extremely tough cover.

Other than that I use fluro and love it. I also use braid for spinning gear but thats always with a fluro leader.Denny Bauer also uses 30lb fluro for most of his flipping a pitching.

I like 20 or 25lb florocarbon unless the veg is super super matted/heavy.  I only use braid if I have too.

I've found my bite : land ratio is better with floro typically.  I use a H Fast 7'6" rod mostly with the floro.

For braid I like a a bit softer, slower rod when flipping for some shock absorbtion while fighting the fish. They stay buttoned up for my better with that set up.  JMHO

P-Line CXX

You bring in the fish, the grass and/or the stump/brush/tree and 20 lbs of bottom soil when you fish with that line.

what knot you using to tie flouro and braid?

I use a uni to uni knot, 8 loops on the fluro, and 6 loops on the braid..never had a knot fail yet. There are other knots that work well too.

I use Berkely Big Game 15# for every thing but matted grass or Buck Brush  :)

Alberto knot 100% of the time for mainline to leader.

I agree with everyone else regarding the leader. Adding the almost invisible quailty of flouro with the sensitivity of braid is your best bet.

Just make sure that alberto knot is nice and snug