Sign in to follow this  
bryand82487

Where to get your reel painted?

I'm looking into getting one of my reels painted and fixed up and was wondering where the people that always have this type of stuff for sale gets it done at?

Over at Tackletour, Calfish is the guy you want to talk to about painting.  His work is exceptional.

I usually just take some Krylon and tape off, making sure to make special small pieces with an X-ACTO knife. Not the prettiest, but from your fishing partner's view, he cant tell  ;)

Over at Tackletour, Calfish is the guy you want to talk to about painting. His work is exceptional.

Thanks, Did he paint that white and blue daiwa you had for sale a long time ago?

I usually just take some Krylon and tape off, making sure to make special small pieces with an X-ACTO knife. Not the prettiest, but from your fishing partner's view, he cant tell ;)

ive done that a few times, its never that easy.

I usually just take some Krylon and tape off, making sure to make special small pieces with an X-ACTO knife. Not the prettiest, but from your fishing partner's view, he cant tell ;)

I agree, it's not very easy, but usually my dad will help, and he's a beats at it. He uses his airbrush too and it comes out awesome. He is a VERY good artist, and craftsman.

Usually to make cutting the pieces easier, put your masking tape on a metal sheet, and cut your peices off of that. It allows for a much cleaner cut, thus letting less paint seep. And I usually cut it a bit large, then touch it up with a very VERY fine paintbrush, or toothpick.

Over years of painting models, my dad usually always have a few tricks up his sleeve.

Well I'm wanting to have the spool and everything else that is red on a CORE to be painted the same color blue as the Loomis NRX rods so I'd like it to be perfect.  I would really mess it up. ha

Well I'm wanting to have the spool and everything else that is red on a CORE to be painted the same color blue as the Loomis NRX rods so I'd like it to be perfect. I would really mess it up. ha

Hmmm, the metal on that looks anodized, But im not sure. If you paint on that I dont know how well a finish would come out if you had someone paint on top of it.

Have you searched for aftermarket blue anodized spools, knobs etc?

Hi

You're better off send the part for anodized due to painting on metal will come off or  buy some aftermarket part come with color you wanted.good luck

Over at Tackletour, Calfish is the guy you want to talk to about painting. His work is exceptional.

Thanks, Did he paint that white and blue daiwa you had for sale a long time ago?

No, that reel was sent off to Japan and painted there.  After seeing Calfish' work, it's just as good and half the cost.