Sign in to follow this  
bryand82487

Daiwa SOL question

I'm looking to super tune my SOL and replace the handle.  The handle I've picked out comes in 85mm and 92mm.  I definitely want a bigger handle but not too big.  Does anyone know what the size of the stock handle is?

80mm

Here's my Sol with the I'ZE 80mm swept handle. I DO NOT like those knobs ;)

pimphandleplate002.jpg

pimphandleplate001.jpg

of course not, they're on the wrong side   ;D

looks awesome but I have felt that handle and I'm not fond of the knobs either

What I did was to surgically remove the stock Sol knobs from the less-than-inspiring factory handle. These gray knobs accept 2 bearings each!

I installed those knobs on the I'ZE handle and a handle from my TD-Z. I prefer the basic Daiwa knobs over any of the over-priced but cool looking aftermarket knobage.

Sol2002.jpg

solknobs001.jpg

Man, do I have reel ***!!!

I'm looking to super tune my SOL and replace the handle. The handle I've picked out comes in 85mm and 92mm. I definitely want a bigger handle but not too big. Does anyone know what the size of the stock handle is?

80mm I believe

Thanks! I'm looking at this one it's an 85mm ZPI Power Game Complete carbon handle  PG-COMP.  Anyone know anything about it?

post-24212-130162929221_thumb.jpg

Thanks! I'm looking at this one it's an 85mm ZPI Power Game Complete carbon handle PG-COMP. Anyone know anything about it?

I have one on my Daiwa Pixy and I think it's the right size for that reel.

Thanks! I'm looking at this one it's an 85mm ZPI Power Game Complete carbon handle PG-COMP. Anyone know anything about it?

I have one on my Daiwa Pixy and I think it's the right size for that reel.

I agree I have 2 Sols both with Zpi 85mm Handle on them and it feels right with that size reel. And the stock is 80mm.

Bryan,

I gave my Sol the full ChuckE/TackleTour treatment.

The drag discs were replaced with carbontex and the (steel) drag washers were ground flat and polished. This results in a powerful but VERY smooth drag

The spool bearings were replaced with Boca Orange Seal bearings

I added a bearing to the worm gear.

I polished the pinion gear face and (lightly) polished the  2 diameters that fits into the frame bearings.

I polished the internal contact areas, de-burred everything that had a burr and polished the ends of the spool shaft.

I flushed and greased all the frame bearings.

Was it worth it? To me it was. I enjoy tinkering with my reels and trying to squeeze all the "performance" I can out of them

Bryan,

I gave my Sol the full ChuckE/TackleTour treatment.

The drag discs were replaced with carbontex and the (steel) drag washers were ground flat and polished. This results in a powerful but VERY smooth drag

The spool bearings were replaced with Boca Orange Seal bearings

I added a bearing to the worm gear.

I polished the pinion gear face and (lightly) polished the 2 diameters that fits into the frame bearings.

I polished the internal contact areas, de-burred everything that had a burr and polished the ends of the spool shaft.

I flushed and greased all the frame bearings.

Was it worth it? To me it was. I enjoy tinkering with my reels and trying to squeeze all the "performance" I can out of them

you think you get much out of the OS bearings?