Sign in to follow this  
Vinny Chase

Shimano Bantam Chronarch 100

Specifically the 100A and the 100MG models. What are your thoughts?

Never used this reel, and I am looking for some quality vintage Shimano reels

If your referring to the Chronarch 100a ,yes it is a great reel well worth owning.I have 3 of these and use them with almost any technique you can think of.

T

I had one. The only reason that I'm not still using it is that it flew out of the boat and went for a ride down the highway and peeled the side cover off of it. Good piece.

• Like 1

I can only compare to the Chronarch BPV which is the version that preceded the 100A.Since the BPV has super free gearing it will cast more effortlessly ,however the reel did not fit my hand right and feels bulky and heavy.As far as I know the new Chronarch 100D does not have the line capacity that the 100A has. In a nutshell, the Chronarch 100A casts as far as you need to throw and then some.Thumbs up for the 100A

T

I have two. I thought as far as older reels went, I thought Curados were all I would need. Then I picked up a Chronarch 100A. No comparison.

I bought the first Chronarch model ever made in 93 or 94. I just sold it on ebay a couple of months ago for more than a new Curado E costs. It was still tight, smooth, and quiet. It also casts farther than alot of todays reels.

Chronarch=Quality

The Jaguar of fishing reels :)

The 100A is a fine reel, the 100Mg is one of the finest reels ever made, my only beef with the Mg is the finish, man that thing is a ding/scratch magnet.  >:)

I have two. I thought as far as older reels went, I thought Curados were all I would need. Then I picked up a Chronarch 100A. No comparison.

Wow! That says a lot if the 100A smokes a curado E. Dangit! I shouldn't have declined a nice offer on one a while back, but then again it was pretty beat up.

You know, you've got a point. That SOB would cast like nothing else. Maybe it was just because I used it for so long, but none of my new stuff comes close unless you are tossing big baits.

Wow! That says a lot if the 100A smokes a curado E. Dangit! I shouldn't have declined a nice offer on one a while back, but then again it was pretty beat up.

Not an E. I'm talking older Shimano Bantam Curados. Still, super nice.

I had two of them. A few years ago, a buddy of mine & I got into a school of hybrid stripers, 8-10 lbs. Caught about a dozen in a 1/2 hour. That reel handled them easily. Destroyed some spinner baits but the reel was flawless. They are great. If the reel is in good shape, you can't go wrong. JMHO.

Ronnie

used a set of these for 5 years...just as smooth and dependable the day i sold 'em as the day i bought 'em.

easily, one of shimano's best efforts.

I have one on my bench right now. They are smooth and well built. I am a fan of the vintage Curados and Chronarchs as well as ABU Ambassadeur.