Sign in to follow this  
warwickforlife

Fishing on the Potomac

I live in Towson, but made the trip to the Potomac yesterday.  I fished near Harpers Ferry I think.  Where we were fishing, you could see the bridge to VA.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you guys had any advice for catching browns out there.  I caught a few small ones, and a friend of mine caught the only fish of any size (14'')  We were fishing with Rapala J-7's most of the day...cranks seemed the way to go.  I usually fish at Loch Raven, so I'm not used to being on a river with all sorts of current.

Any help would be amazing!!

You can never go wrong with a Zoom Ultravibe Speedcraw in green pumpkin on a 1/8oz shaky head. Let the current take it.

Hey warwick,

As I mentioned on the MD thread, check your PM's!

Welcome to THE boards SUbassJP!

Do you get out much on the Potomac at Shepardstown? I lived in Sharpsburg for several years and know some of that area fairly well!

to be honest, up around shepherdstown is pretty weak. a low population of good smallmouth. I normally fish right past harpers ferry at around Dam 3 I believe. Hey, if you know any good spots I am all ears... not just for the river either.. any ponds, lakes, etc. Fishing is honestly sparse up around school. ;)

As far as smallies go, I haven't tied into anything decent this year! Now that I have an outboard again (LONG story), I can expand my range a little more. I was pretty restricted for a while hitting the river from the boat. Williamsport, Snyders and Dargan's were about the only areas "trolling motor friendly". I've heard good things about the Dam 3 area but I haven't fished it!  :-/  Guess I have to make that a priority!!!!

The pond in Sharpsburg is in sad shape (choked with grass) but there are a few good bass in there. I've been told, there's a pond on the battlefield that you can fish and its has smallies in it. I haven't ventured out to get its exact location yet though. Might have to pop in to the visitor's center and see what they can tell me. Not sure if you're aware of Greenbrier park or not. That's not too far from Shepardstown. There's some good largemouths in there! That's about all I can think of off the top of my head that's not too far away.

yeah i fish greenbriar every now and then, and as for the sharpsburg pond, it good to fish if your the only one there. its really small! seen some 5lb+ bass in there, but all the fish there are spooked for some reason. I am going google map this battlefield pond!! I have always wanted to fish a pond with smallmouth! do you know which battlefield specifically?

Yeah, sharpsburg pond is definitely on the small side! I've seen some good ones in there too. The best I've landed out of there is a 4 1/4 pounder. That place gets beat up pretty bad (mostly by trout fishermen) which is why I think the bass are pretty spooky. As for the battlefield pond. Its supposed to be back behind the visitor center side on one of the farms back there. There's either 2 or 3 farms back there but I think only one of them has a pond on it so it should be too hard to find googling it. I haven't had a chance to stop in to the visitors center yet to ask about. One of my friends has fly fished it before and has managed a few dinks. I don't think many people know about it so my guess is there's probably some good ones in there! Let me know how you do if you make it over there before I do!

I am going to find it asap. I go back to school the 17th, so I will let you know around then. You say Snyders is trolling motor friendly? I know it gets calmer up that way, but do you think it would be ok to take my 12ft v-hull up there? No outboard, just a 36lb thrust trolling motor.

Yeah, Snyders is definitely trolling motor friendly. I have a 16' jon with a 43# trolling motor and like I mentioned before, was pretty much limited to there if I wanted to fish the river when I was without an outboard. As long as the levels aren't up above 5' on the Hancock USGS river gauge I've run Snyders with out any problems.

do you catch a good amount of fish around snyders? whats your most productive bait?

Decent amount of smallies I'd say, I manage a bonus walleye once in a while too. I'd say my most productive bait would be a Smithwick Rattlin Rogue but the Bandit 100 series cranks aren't far behind. I'll add a 4" tube in the arsenal as well.

ive had luck just below harpers ferry. we launch at brunswick and go up to where u were. im always throwin green pumpkin tubes with red flake. like subassjp said about the craws let the current take it. get in behind a point, toss it out into the current n let it bounce around the bottom on its way behind the point comin outta the current. once it gets behind ya pull it in throw out again. as for snyders i havent fished it but i know some guys who do they say senkos wacky rigged work best. on the potomac side at harpers ferry last i was up there (august 16th) the water was ankle deep with some small holes. i always throw a rooster tail up there, neon orange n yellow. plenty of small large mouth 6-10 inches nothin to brag about, but fun. n dont be afraid to go up into small feed creeks n throw spinner baits. typical white n chartruese. got a pic from the hapers ferry trip.

post-24384-130162934598_thumb.jpg