Sign in to follow this  
simplejoe

Raystown lake

Has anybody been out at Raystown lake lately? I'm picking up my new boat on Thursday in Harrisburg and it's likely that I'm going to stop there since I'm close to it and it's been years since I've been there.

Joe

I was up there this last Sat. from 4am and stayed til 12pm just because I couldn't get out at the ramp.    Didn't do real bad for the lake I ended up with 6 all average 1.5 -2.25 lb. nothing huge but that lake is tough for me.  Water temp at surface was around mid to high 70s.  Found all of my fish along deep weeds, 6 - 10 feet deep weeds next to 20 - 40 feet of water.  

thanks for info. What were you using? I don't know how much fishing I'll be doing since the wife and kids will be with me, But I wanna try and fish as much as I can  ;)

The last time I was there we fished by a bridge and had a good bite up till about 11 in the morning and then slowed down till about 3 pm. Like I said it's been years.

Everything I caught was on a rapala husky jerk, silver. The only two bridges that I can think of in close proximity of each other. Either it was the main causeway or the one that spans over coffee run/creek cove. Both get extremely hectic around noon. I usually fish down around James creek area.

Well, shoot! Wish I had said something earlier Mike! I was up there camping from friday through monday. I was mostly hangning out with great group of friends and kayaking but got a little bit of fishing in. I got blanked up there. Did get to see a striper (guessing somewhere around 26-28 inches or so) which was a first for me. I was throwing tubes around this one long point and it came up out of the grass and worked its way out the point never to be seen again. Sunday night, I did some shore fishing in one of the coves near my site. I was hoping for some top water action (which is all I took along down) but they wanted nothing to do with them.

Mike, I'll be launching from James Creek. I'll fish down around there then and play on the rest of the lake. Is there any shallow spots I gotta watch out for? I won't have the finder on that boat yet and I don't wanna rip the lower unit off the first day.  ;D

There are two areas that you need to watch out for.  One is just up from James Creek, at the mouth of trough creek.  There is a danger bouy marking the spot off of a very narrow point.  On either side of that point the water is approx. 50 - 70 feet and right off the tip of point it comes up to 8ft at about 50 yds off the shore.  Lots of cannon balls lost on this area.  The second that I know of is down past 7 points marina I believe it almost at the 5 mile marker.  Its another point that on one side that water is (no joke) 130 feet and comes up to 6 feet faster than my electronics can keep up.  Lots of still standing timber under that water.

Try going to Shy Beaver and throwing tubes in the grass and spinner baits on the wood the fish are moving in there this time of year.If its over cast try your frogs you should get some big fish back in there

did you make it out to the lake and if so how did you do?

Yeah we made it out there, I caught 4 fish. I went with the kids so they wanted to ride around instead of fishing. It gave me a chance to check the boat out and make sure it was what I wanted. I'm going back out before the season is over, I had a blast out there.

joe