Sign in to follow this  
DWG1984

Any tips for Kentucky Lake

I'm going to Kentucky lake around March 20th for a few days. Ive never fished it before but my Dad and few of my buddies wanted to go so I decided to plan a trip. We're going Monday through Thursday in hopes that it wont be as crowded during the week. I don't have a boat(no electronics :'( )so well be pretty low tech renting some Jon boats.I'm hoping to catch some Bass even though the other guys we'll probably be looking for crappie Any tips would be helpful. Thanks guys

i have never fished there but i do know it is a very very good lake and hear nothing but good things about this lake. the bass should be moving up that time a year so you may not need the electronics anyways.  :D

I haven't fished the lake much, but I have family that fish in regular and I know they fish ledges with a carolina rig and do good. I'm not sure if March 20'th might be a little early for bass, but give it a try and maybe do some crappie fishing if the bass aren't hitting. ;D

If the water is low fish secondary points for bass, If the water is high fish in the backs of the creeks. There are fish cribs in many of the creeks. If your only in a jon boat I wouldn't venture out into the river.

whatever you do dont go into the river or out in the middle, with a little boat, if it's windy at all, the lake will beat ya up.craink baits on the points, and arount the rocks,should work for ya...

Small bays and inlets within the creek arms is where we caught our bigger fish (about the same time) last year. If your catching smaller ones back off and fish abit deeper. We had our best luck with spinnerbaits and suspending jerkbaits (natural colors) both fish fairly slow. When we identified stumps or other structure we threw some worms, texas mainly. I did best with black, but i'm sure other colors would have been fine.

IMO being in a johnboat wont hurt you too bad unless the weather gets COLD. A person could easily spend a few days picking apart a big creek arm, like Jonathon Creek for exg. at Kentucky Lake.

Good Luck