Sign in to follow this  
esr1

lake guntersville 3/17-3/22

have a trip planned to fish for five days. i have never been to the lake

we are traveling from northern illinois 750 miles.  from what I understand it is a shallow weedy and grassey and thats all I got. I was planing to stay near scottsboro and fishing the upper end creek chanels.    Any info on what to expect? my strong are spinerbaits and pitching. Any info on color/size? Is the grass going to be hard to fish? Do i need hevy jigs to get through? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.                                                                                                                          Thanks  Eric

The grass will still be thin, but starting to grow. Actually it is greening up some now. You should find some post spawn fish in the upper end but the spawn should be just getting going by then. Check the moon phase for your trip, that may give you a good starting point. The colors for jigs are green pumpkin with some red. Senkos will be a good consideration by then (Green Pumpkin/red). The spinnerbait should do well also. White and white/chartruese.

Red traps and small red crankbaits are good options as well. The grass will not be matted that early so 3/8 to 1/2oz jigs should work fine.

If you need some lodging info for the area or any thing else shoot me a pm and I will try to help you out. I will be there next week for 4 days.

The water temps are increasing slightly, low to mid 50s now depending on depth. This may be affected by the weather. Fronts really makes things tough for a day or two. You may see temps in upper 50s by then.  Plan to fish flats off of the creeks. If your trip covers the weekend, expect company, especially if someone sees you catch a fish. Weekdays are not as bad. Crow Creek on the north end may receive less pressure.

Why don't you join up with the BassResourse.com crowd who will be there the 23rd -28th?  At the top left corner of this page you will find a lot of Guntersville info at "Guntersville Roadtrip."

I would love to .Unfortunatly the trip was planed back in Nov. now its the only time I have off. I will post results as soon as I get back.Maby next time.

Good Luck on the trip!  Keep us informed, if possible.

Expect some amazing bass fishing if you can get on em' Guntersville has one of the largest average size catches in the country!!! If you see any milfoil or Hydrilla mats on top of the water definately drag a white mouse across it!!!!!!!!!!! Ribbits also work good on and around the edges of it. I doubt there will be any on top that early though but just in case, keep that in mind....

Anyone been on Lake G. recently? Curious to see what the weed growth might be this early April? What type & color of frog/rat baits work well in the spring?

I was on G last week. Right now the water temp is running around 47 and did warm to 50 Sat. afternoon.

The grass (milfoil) is starting to grow, you can find patches of thick green grass under the surface in some areas. By April it may reach the surface but I would not expect mats. Frog colors I have used with success is white, black works well on cloudy days.

1/2 s will be ok, I would bring a 3/4 in case you find some thick patches.

I did find some very thick milfoil last week but it was very scattered.

The patches other wise will be just getting started. Grass is still very prominant so plan on dealing with it. Spinner baits and even the Chatterbait would be good options to get them to come up out of the grass.

Green Pumpkin should be a good option color wise as the grass will be influencing color. The bottom is mostly sand with some red clay.

Last week we were ripping traps through the grass.

The average fish in the lake is larger than in most places. I have seen a lot of 4 pounders and the 5-6 class are pretty common as well.

Figuring them out is a challenge, for me any way.

The grass and flats are everywhere so finding structure within the grass is key to narrowing the focus.

Great info Sling. Our guide has receommeded 35-50lb. braid for frogs, top water, & flippin; 15 lb. florocarbon for texas rigs, rattle baits, everything else. Would you recommend braids for rippin thru the grass? seems like it would rip thru better. 3/8, 1/2 or 3/4 oz. spinnerbaits? When you are saying to find structure with the grass, are u talking about drop-offs, ledges, rock piles. etc.

Boy if they hit them rats you're gonna have some fun......ribbits work well too alot of the time. They used to really like chrome/blue back rattle traps alot too. Man I hope I buy that bass boat i'm going to look at today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm goin crazy to get back to Gville....Also, then I'd be able to meet up with you guys next weekend. I grew up fishing Gville but have only been 3 or 4 times in about 10 years since I moved......  :'(

Sorry 'bout your luck Kev. We'll keep you posted on out trip. 3 weeks and counting...!  ESR1- let us know how your trip goes. We have some guys from Ohio down that week out of So. Sauty Crk.