Sign in to follow this  
okrod

New PB tonight at Lake Braddock

I caught this LM on a black, long-shank buzz bait right up next to the bank.  It was about 8:30pm and real dark by then.  I already gave up to head home and decided to try a couple more casts.  I got a strike just as I was pulling the lure from the water. I flipped back in about 20 ft out and drew it back in over the same spot a couple times and hit on the second try.

A couple passing by were nice enough to take the picture of me, but pics are all I have to judge the weight of this puppy, so I can use your expertise.  I estimated the length at 21 to 21.5 inches based on the length of the lure.  An online conversion chart put that at between 5.78 - 6.21 lbs.  But I'm a novice on this and could use your help.

post-13709-130162940845_thumb.jpg

very nice fish. i would est around 4.5lbs.  :-[

Nice catch Rich, congrats on the new PB.  I would guess that fish is aroud 4 to 5 lbs. It is time for you to invest in a good scale, they are only around 20 to 30 dollars.

It's hard to tell from a picture.

They can look much bigger or

smaller than they really are.

I would guess 3-4 lbs.

Congrats.  This coming from a Fairfax boy who now lives in NC down on Lake Norman.  I always knew that lake had some big ones it in it but as a kid I was always sneaking around and fishing the golf course ponds with my bike.

Times were different then, you might get yelled at unless you caught a nice one and then the superintendant would want to see it, make you put it back, and then run you off.  Now I guess they'll sue you for trespassing.....  Ah the good old days....

Anyway, good work with that buzzbait.  I hear Burke Lake has a few in it too.  Not sure if it's legal to fish there or not it's been a long time since I was on those waters.