Sign in to follow this  
HokieDJ

Potomac

Anyone know if you can fish off the 2 scenic parking lots off GW Parkway across from Flether's boat house?

Which ones are you talking about exactly? I fish for catfish out of Ladybird, i think, park area all the time.

I don't know, but make sure you check the fishing regulations. I know Maryland has reciprocal licenses with VA for the potomac, but that water is DC, not VA or MD. You might want to check what the rules about that are, just in case.

If it is in DC you need to purchase a DC fishing license, they do not do the reciprocal thing.

Well it's on the GW Parkway on the VA side.  1 is right across from fletcher and the other one is upriver but not too far.

I would be fishing from VA shores but the water is DC.  Does that count?

If you are fishing from the shore in VA I would think you do not need a DC license.

Well it's on the GW Parkway on the VA side.  1 is right across from fletcher and the other one is upriver but not too far.

I would be fishing from VA shores but the water is DC.  Does that count?

I don't know, that's why I thought you should check. VA territory usually ends at the water line, if you are fishing from shore, it should be ok but if you launch a boat, it might be different.

Hokie, my friends and I fished from shore there last year with no grief and or issues at one of the parks.  I know which one you are talking about.  I wasn't aware of the reciprocal thing at that time.  But like I said there were no persons asking questions or checking licenses (we may have just got lucky though).

I'd call up whoever is in charge of the DC fishery and find out what the deal is with that and/or refer to the Virginia freshwater and saltwater guide you can find on the VDGIF website and download.  If not one of the guys there might know whether or not that spot is considered Va license (numbers are also listed in that guide for questions just like this).  Let us know what you find out.

I saw some guys there pulling in catfish like they were going out of style.  

I been told by a friend that those 2 scenic parking spots are way up the cliff from the potomac.  You can't really see that from google but I thought I saw a trail leading down to the bank.

If anyone interested in fishing there on a weekend let me know.. Stripper season opens up on the 16th.  I'm hoping to get them from there instead of fletcher's but I have a feeling that place will be swarmed with people.

Hey Hokie, check your pms dude.  Had a question about a spot we had discussed in a previous pm.

does anyone besides me fish the Potomac above the fall line? You can get some pretty nice smallies at a few parks west of Great Falls and from the MD side of Great Falls.

Dan,

If I knew of some good spots above the fall line I would.  Just closer to Neabsco and Leesylvania so I normally fish below.

Where would the best launch area be to hit some of those areas above the fall line?  I've always been interested in smallies on the Potomac.  I see a lot of the guys in MD and PA hit the water above the fall line and can put together huge numbers of smallies.  

Never fished for them on a tidal water (other than Pony Pasture on the James).  Is it tougher to find the fish or harder to catch em'?  I'll have to check it out one day if I hear you're heading up there.  Later dude.

Jay, you wouldn't be launching in the upper potomac unless you have a canoe, kayak, small jon, or something like that. Their are loads of rocks and obstacles. I usually just bank fish or wade a little bit. It's not the best for wading because it's a little gross sometimes and its very rocky, but there are some pretty nice spots. Take a look at google maps and look at parks along the river. I like Riverbend Park. I may try to wade there when the water warms up a little. On google maps, use the satellite view to try to find a park that has lots of rocks in the water. Most of the smallmouth are above Great Falls, which isn't tidal, so they are pretty typical of smallmouth as far as I have seen.

Most of these places are off of Georgetown Pike which is a fun drive because it is so curvy, but be careful not to crap your pants when you see all the giant houses out there. Let me know if you need any directions, advice, or suggestions. I am by no means an expert at fishing the upper Potomac but I know of a few spots. Also remember, the

Dan,

I heard they stopped permitting fishing at Great Falls Park last year.  Know anything about it?  I think it had something to do with water levels and I am not sure if it was a permanent deal.

Anyway I'll check out those parks above great falls and what not.  Do the banks get steep in that area like some spots on the Rapp or does it just depend on the area?  Also if I put in parks and so forth for options will it show most of the smaller area parks?

I don't know about fishing the Virginia side of great falls, it's too steep and rocky and fast flowing so I only went there once. The MD side has some good spots though, I went fishing there last summer but I don't know if they changed the rules or not.

The banks get steep in some areas, but not like the Rapp. The Rapp (at least where I've been) is just eroded dirt about 10 ft above the water, the Potomac has some spots where it is just rock cliff faces. I remember I went to one park and could barely find a way down to the water to fish because most of the land there was too steep to walk down to the bank and it was probably 50 feet high.

Putting in parks should show most of them. Points of interest are Riverbend Park (best for wading and bank fishing IMO), Algonkian Regional Park (they have a boat launch and the water is less rocky so you could probably launch there) and the Dranesville District Park which is also called Scott's Run (which is actually below Great Falls, just west of 495 on Georgetown Pike. There are other, smaller parks but I haven't really explored them very well, mostly because they involve a lot more hiking. Riverbend is not too bad off a hike, more like a walk on a trail. Algonkian has a launch and parking lot so there isn't much walking. Dranesville has quite a hike from the parking lot to the water that includes a very steep hill that is tough with a tackle bag.

Awesome info.  Thanks Dan.  I'll be sure to check Riverbend when I get home and try and see if I can plan a day to get out there.

Stripper season opens up on the 16th..

Man, its always Stripper season!!! Oh, sorry, you meant Striper! Dang it! :D

Oh yea, and Hokie, I noticed you've caught a pretty good size stripper as your pb, interesting. ;)

Hhahah yea.   I went twice on a boat owned by my wife's friend.  We trolled the bay for them and I know where to do it. I just need a boat hahah

And let me tell you, Striper is good eats!  It's the only thing I would eat if it was caught in the potomac.

one of my technicians just got back from the bay and I made sure he gave me some striper. It's by far my favorite eating fish. :P

does anyone besides me fish the Potomac above the fall line? You can get some pretty nice smallies at a few parks west of Great Falls and from the MD side of Great Falls.

Dan, I live right in the area and plan on fishing up that way in the next few weeks. I found a spot to put the kayak in on Goose Creek and do a float down river to Algonkian Regional. I love smallies and I hope I can figure them out in this stretch. From what I can see there are very few rocky areas in this stretch but last fall I saw some awesome weedlines that go out about 30 to 50 yards offshore. I'm sure the edges will hold fish as well as some of the deeper shorelines. From what I've been told you can put together a nice day of small to medium sized smallmouths in that area.

Paul

Paul,

Another thing you can try is to drive out to Leesburg and take White's Ferry across the river, then put your kayak in there at the public launch on the Maryland side. Heck, with a kayak, you might even be able to just drop it in on the VA side, but there's pretty much zilch for parking there. The MD side has a whole facility there: lots of parking, small store w/ some hot food, etc. The launch fee is pretty cheap too, if I remember correctly. Anyway, the smallmouth fishing on that part of the river can be spectacular. My best day ever on the river for smallies was two summers ago, fishing that area...caughts lots & lots of solid 2lb smallies, with a few 3's throw in. Grubs (yammie 4"), tubes (pick your favorite), jerkbaits (floating or susp. Rapalas), and 4" sticks (Senkos, Yum Dingers, ***, whatever). Good times!

-Rich

I grew up near the Great Falls area and Dominion Dan is right on.  Fishing from the shore Riverbend is a nice place to fish since its really easily accessible and on most days you can catch a few fish.  Always had good luck throwing a plastic tube texas rigged.

Scotts Run has really good fishing if your willing to take a hike, used to go fishing there all the time when I skipped school with friends :P

I fished mainly near the waterfall in Scotts Run even tho its a good walk.  Also can catch lots of catfish there.  I always had best luck throwing a carolina rig lizard/brush hog

Hope this helps.

I grew up near the Great Falls area and Dominion Dan is right on.  Fishing from the shore Riverbend is a nice place to fish since its really easily accessible and on most days you can catch a few fish.  Always had good luck throwing a plastic tube texas rigged.

Scotts Run has really good fishing if your willing to take a hike, used to go fishing there all the time when I skipped school with friends :P

I fished mainly near the waterfall in Scotts Run even tho its a good walk.  Also can catch lots of catfish there.  I always had best luck throwing a carolina rig lizard/brush hog

Hope this helps.

Did you just fish the pool there at Scotts Run under the waterfall? Everytime I go there that pool seems to get smaller and smaller. I always wondered whether up or down river had any good spots from there.

I fish the Potomac at Scott's Run a lot, I work nearby in Mclean, so it is one of the easier spots to access.  The hike is tough... But once you get to the river and the sun starts setting, I don't know that there is a prettier spot to fish anywhere...At least I haven't found it yet... Plus the river is loaded with smallmouth there... I do really well with Case Plastic Senko Knockoffs in their 3 inch version, small lizards, and countdown rapalas.