Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Bass Pro Shop in Richmond, Virginia

Take a look at Page B4 in Sunday, August 24's Richmond-Times Dispatch as there is an article about the area beside the new BPS just north of Richmond off I-95.

What caught my eye is the new pond that is going to be created by converting a storm-water retention pond just north of the BPS parking lot into a fishing pond.

Another place to fish!!!!!

They will have canoes, too, so we can have a canoe tournament.

Should be nice if it becomes a reality.  ;)

I don't know if the story is on the www.richmondtimes-dispatch.com web page but it will be interesting to find out.

Check out the author, too, Reed Williams.

The article is titled, New park planned near new Bass Pro and is in the Region section of the August 24th editiion.

I will give it a shot, too.

Here is a synoposis of the article. I have no idea if the entire article is there along with the map but I can scan it at my office and e-mail it to you.

New park planned near new Bass Pro

A park with nature trails and a fishing hole is planned for the area beside the new Bass Pro Shops store in Hanover County. Bass Pro is expected to open in the fall.

The plan calls for converting a storm-water retention pond just north of a Bass Pro parking lot into a fishing hole.

Hanover created a Community Development Authority for the 185-acre Winding Brook development to help attract Bass Pro.

The authority issued about $28 million in bonds to pay for water and sewer lines, a four-lane road from Lakeridge Parkway to Lewistown Road, parking lots for Bass Pro and the park land.

Richmond Times-Dispatch - Aug 24, 2008

Google Richmond Times-Dispatch and then go to its web site.

Look for the Metro section or search Bass Pro in the search engine.

I found it but I really don't know how I found it.

Don't you just love computers?   ;D

The BPS in Hampton has a pond that is stocked with nice bass and catfish.  Some real whoppers have comeout of that pond.

Cool deal Sam!! Can't wait for Bass Pro to open. I heard from a friend supposed to open race day weekend? Is this true??

I hope it is a different weekend than race weekend.  That would be one heck of a mess on route 95 if they did.  As it is the highway comes to a dead stop just due to the race.  If they open that weekend it would take hours (3-4) to get there from Northern VA.

Nice! another hole to fish from, hopefully they'll regulate this one better than a few of the other public park lakes...seems alot of people take fish  legal or not ...

John, Ron and Simon,

I have heard the date is either late September or early October.

I have not heard anything about the weekend of September 6th.

If I do, I will let you all know.  :)

I passed it on the way to DC this weekend.  From the looks of it no way they could have it ready to open by race weekend.

All I know is my bday is October 23, and if it's open I think I know where I am taking any money I get.  My dad already said we were gonna make a trip there around that time if it's open to check it out and hit the deals when it opens.  Get stacked on tackle for next season.  My box is full but I've been itching to buy a spinnerbait rod and reel and a better rod for my crankbait setup as well.

It looked pretty far along back in July when my dad and I headed down to the James for some smallie wading.  What's holding the place up?  Outside construction, inside setup??? Have they started the hiring process yet?  I know some of you guys are probably itching for that lol.

looks like it's coming along pretty well to me, but what do I know, I'm not in construction!

From what I could see and from what I remember the outside building looks complete.  I can see those big signs hanging from the ceiling but that's about it.  They need to work on the outside more, paving and such, as well as setting up the shelves.

Like you said, I hope they regulate that pond.  It would be freakin' sweet to buy something from BPS and try it out right there at the pond.

I guess we'll just have to see.

September 20 is the target date to open.

I found this out last night at a meeting.

So set your alarm clock for 5 AM on September 20 and head to the store.

Of course, no guarantee it will be open so double check before you drive to Richmond.  :)

Sam,

Please keep us posted as it gets closer to September 20th.  I would like to go to the opening of this store and hit the sales.

Thanks,

Ron

Sam,

Please keep us posted as it gets closer to September 20th. I would like to go to the opening of this store and hit the sales.

Thanks,

Ron

x2 I'll be there camping out all night if there's some good deals to be had!

Drove by last night, it looks really good, seems like they've gotten a bunch of shelves set up.  Possibly just need to add the final touches like more shelves,  decoration and inventory.