Sign in to follow this  
A.Do?

What's going on in NoVA? =D

What's everyone been up to? I haven't been out in awhile and the last bass I caught was at Meeeercer at the beginning of November.  I've been itchin to get out and fish and was thinking of doing some fishing this weekend. I'm not sure where to go and I'd rather not fish alone. Who's free? I was just thinking of doing some shore fishing but am open to suggestions.

Happy Holidays! :)

I'm not in NoVa but I've had the itch to get out too.  The water temps are so cold over here in the valley it's nearly impossible to get a bite.

Yeah, I'm not expecting to catch much. Just want to wet a line. Was thinking of throwing drop shots, suspending jerk baits, and maybe some road runners for panfish. Maybe I should try and find some trout water....

Thanks Allyn, but that's all the way in February!!! Must.fish.now.

well I was going to suggest Lake Thompson if you wanted to try for some trout, but apparently the spillway drainage sprung a leak and the place is completely dry....

I went out last Friday after thanksgiving and landed a real nice fish on a swimbait about 15 ft+ down on casting out from some riprap, my guess was right around 5 lbs, only bite i had. I got some random guy to take a pic. The following day I met with Rob, Drums and Dan and we all got skunked, trying multiple techniques.

Wow nice Trevor!

Nothing much going on with me either. Day before Thanksgiving I caught a solid 3.5 lb fish at Fairview, t-rigging. Other than that nothing, fished last sunday and yesterday and haven't got another bite.

It's only gonna get tougher in the upcoming months.

Matt Strykul is whipped and can't fish a Gaston team tournament on dec. 21st so I am probably gonna have to fish it for him, with his brother ;D

are there no fishing signs at Fairview? That's like 7 minutes up Lee Highway from me when I'm home.

Yeah but there is a private side and a public side. I think the public side really is just the restaurant not caring who fishes that side, never had any problems on that side.

7 minutes? Same with me but that is the curse of Fairview. So close you have to fish it but the quality of fish is weak. ;D

I might have to give it a shot. I drive by it all the time but I never thought it was fishable.

you guys should be looking at Burke if you have access to a boat.  brushpiles are begging for jigs.  some of my best days at Burke have come in the first week of December.  Huntsman?????  been catching about 25 crappie in 2 hrs of fishing and the occasional bass.  been to magical lake x twice,  no huge fish but 20 bass each day with a 4 each time.  might get out there on Sat.!!!!!!!  Trevor, why not LB with the jb or jig?????  check out 4 mile run at the rt1 bridge, thats always a good bet when it gets really cold.  just remember slow and steady wins the race!!!

you guys should be looking at Burke if you have access to a boat.  brushpiles are begging for jigs.  some of my best days at Burke have come in the first week of December.  Huntsman?????  been catching about 25 crappie in 2 hrs of fishing and the occasional bass.  been to magical lake x twice,  no huge fish but 20 bass each day with a 4 each time.  might get out there on Sat.!!!!!!!  Trevor, why not LB with the jb or jig?????  check out 4 mile run at the rt1 bridge, thats always a good bet when it gets really cold.  just remember slow and steady wins the race!!!

Thanks for the info Jon! ;D

I was actually thinking of hitting up Huntsman with my kayak. Any pointers? PM if you don't mind sharing some info :)

I work near rt.1 and four mile run! I always thought that water was way too polutted and my line would melt if i tried to fish it. Might have to give it a try.

Was your success at Burke at night or during the day too?

Thanks again for all the input. I greatly appreciate it!

Well I just got a new rod (Kistler magnesium 7' Heavy) and the purpose of the outing was to use it and decide how i liked it. Turns out I love it, it's perfect for carolina rigs, texas rigs, jigs and swimbaits.  I threw all of the above and the swimbait is what did the trick.  I let it sink all the way to the bottom of the 27ft and reeled it back SLOW and all the sudden the line was heavy.  First cast too, which in turn led to no more bites.

you guys should be looking at Burke if you have access to a boat. brushpiles are begging for jigs. some of my best days at Burke have come in the first week of December. Huntsman????? been catching about 25 crappie in 2 hrs of fishing and the occasional bass. been to magical lake x twice, no huge fish but 20 bass each day with a 4 each time. might get out there on Sat.!!!!!!! Trevor, why not LB with the jb or jig????? check out 4 mile run at the rt1 bridge, thats always a good bet when it gets really cold. just remember slow and steady wins the race!!!

Eh Manassas is a bit of a run for me. I am getting a float tube for next year but would not want to use it in the winter time ;)

What do you get at the rt 1 bridge?

mostly bass.   Alexandria watertreatment is right there and the discharge is a warm water deal.  it can get a bit crowded on the week-ends.  check out the tide chart for National airport and go on the last couple hours of an outgoing tide, and watch out for snags if your gonna chuck multi hook baits.  small grubs and worms seem to work well.  i've caught 'um on a jb and rattle trap in there but you gotta be careful.  

Andrew, tried to pm you and it said i was banned from the forum so here goes........Huntsman.......dam riprap with the jb and the drain for the crappie.  Burke is not a night deal in the winter, occasionally at night in the summer.  any warm water in the winter on the river is a bass magnet!!  i mean i'm not eatin' 'um so why not teach 'um a lesson!!!!

Haven't had too much luck with the LMB recently, hit up a private lake in Richmond and been catching some dinks on slow rolled spinnerbaits.  This lake has pike or musky, something toothy, and these guys usually hit my spinnerbaits too, but haven't caught one larger than 1lb.

Bring the yak down for some striper =D

I've fished fairvew with pigsticker recently but it was after school for like an hour. Nothing, no bites, no fish. Other than that, I haven't been fishing too much. That's gonna change though.

I think i'm going to shoot for the hunts saturday morning. I'm going to stick with shore fishing. let me know if you're interested!

Greetings gents, it's been a while. I haven't fished for LMB since September. Work has a real way of interfering with fishing sometimes.  

I'm actually heading up to Long Island to do some wreck fishing for blackfish tomorrow.

I still may try and squeeze one more day out on the kayak before I put it up for the season.

Paul, let me know when you're going out. If my schedule cooperates i'd like to get out on the kayak again too.

Andrew,

Same old same old in Northern Virginia.

Traffic jams.

Corrupt politicians.

Too many people.

Traffic jams.

Too many tourists.

Traffic jams.

Cold water in the Potomac.

No parking places at the malls.

Traffic jams.

Everything is OK in NOVA land.

And did I say traffic jams???  ;D   ;D   ;D

Andrew,

Same old same old in Northern Virginia.

Traffic jams.

Corrupt politicians.

Too many people.

Traffic jams.

Too many tourists.

Traffic jams.

Cold water in the Potomac.

No parking places at the malls.

Traffic jams.

Everything is OK in NOVA land.

And did I say traffic jams??? ;D ;D ;D

I know exactly what you mean by the traffic! I live by a mall and this time of year sux.

How's the fishing though?