Sign in to follow this  
mibassman

buzzbait newbie

Stopped by the grocery store this morning and decided to head to the fishing section. Ended up buying a 5/16 oz white Strike King Buzz King buzzbait. I don't know anything about buzzbaits and need some help from you guys. How do i fish them? What weather conditions are best to throw them? Where do I throw them? And what are the best colors/brands that you've found?

I live in AL and the bb bite is just strarting to warm up. Water temps are in the 62 degree range. I find that this bait is most effective early in the morning or during cloudy days. Obviously when the bass are shallow for spawning or feeding is the most bites I find. I suggest a trailer hook as sometimes it is a hate (reaction) strike vs a feeding strike.

Be prepared with a follow up bait if they are slashing at the bait and missing it. I like a worm or spinner bait as a follow up.

A good adjustment to make is to squeeze the rivet to flatten it some to add to the noise. Bump cover, dock poles, they hate it when we do that. Just a few thoughts on some basics.

Early or late near or over shallow vegetation( 6 ft or under) around shoreline points , brush or laydowns. These are great conditions for the ole buzzbait..

I use at least 12 pound mono with a buzzbait, helps keep it on top of the water and helps it to surface faster.

Buzzbaits rock! I fish them around heavy cover, especially in weed choked shallows. They work best in cloudy weather, or during the twillight periods, but they will catch bass when it's sunny as well. Anytime you need to cover water in the shallows, give a buzzbait a try.

Don't forget a trailer hook.

The only line I use on a buzzbait is braid. The only buzzbait I use is a Black Booyah Buzz. I've fished with all sorts of different lines and different brands of buzzbait only to find the right combination for me. I'm prone to throwing my buzzbait anywhere. The braid comes into play when a lunker smashes on my buzzbait in heavy cover. With 50 lb test, you can pull anything outta the water.

I like the Booyah Buzz because of the metal blade thats smacks the buzz blade on each rotation. Makes a *clank, clank, clank* sound that drives bass crazy. I've fished all different sizes of this bait and found that the 3/8 oz. size is the only size that produces. Its a lethal combination. Give it a shot.

Good Luck.

The Cavitron Buzzbait is what I recommend. It has a unique chirping sound and the lure comes on plane immediately. I have had great succes with the 1/2 oz black on black. They are a BassResource.com sponsor, too!

http://www.cavitronlures.com/

8-)

kb here  in our lakes here in indiana  i throw a buzzbait everyday i go fishing  cold or warm  water and have caught fish all the time  maybe not real big fish in ice out or cold water but bass   in my opinion vision lure make the best buzzbait made   hardley ever miss a fish   kb

The Cavitron Buzzbait is what I recommend. It has a unique chirping sound and the lure comes on plane immediately. I have had great succes with the 1/2 oz black on black. They are a BassResource.com sponsor, too!

http://www.cavitronlures.com/

8-)

Cavitrons are the best buzzbaits around, but I also really love the Accent High Riders.

Cavitron gets the nod here as well for hard buzzers and Rage Tail Shad is my favorite for soft plastic and it doesn't get wrapped up in the salad.

We have had some awesome days throwing buzzers over submerged vegetation on windy days.  My guess is that the chop on the water diffuses the light penetration enough so the Bass sit higher up in the weeds and are willing to hit a surface lure.

My personal preference in buzzers is the Persuader Double Buzz.  We fish in current alot and the counter rotating double blades keep the buzzer from washing out due to the side force of the current.  Also, it stays on the surface at a very slow retrieve speed.

I bought a couple of Cavitrons based on their popularity on this site and will give them a good trial as soon as we can get on the water.