Sign in to follow this  
LAURASDAD

TIPS ON FISHING SLOW IN THE WIND

Hello,

I need help.  When it is windy, I have a hard time fishing plastics.  I find it much easier throwing a spinnerbait or crankbait.

But at times, I feel like I should be fishing plastics.  

Any tips on fishing plastics when its windy?  I'm not worried about casting them, just fishing them properly.

thanks

Larry

I have had a little luck just drifting with the wind. Boat management is a "breeze" too! T-rigged plastics were meant for this kind of fishing. Setting up to drift across a point, you can cover a lot of water and may find a very effective pattern.

8-)

Maybe you are talking about baits like senkos and dingers that won't sink because the bow in your line is holding them up.  If this is the case, try putting a split shot on your line (maybe two depending on the size) to make like a mini-C-rig.  This helps hold your bait in position and still allows the wind current to put it in front of the fish.

My biggest problem is if I cast toward the shore, and if the wind is blowing the boat fairly quickly, I tend to drag and real the bait in too quickly.

Larry

If the wind is carrying my bait I let it do the work and just reel in the slack line. A weight will help you keep contact with the bottom.

Ever heard of an anchor? That's one answer!

Like RW stated you can drift with the using a Texas Rig or Carolina Rig, when you cast just strip out line so your bait will stay in contact with the bottom, as the wind drifts you along just drag your bait like a normal Texas Rig/ Carolina Rig. I use this technique to cover large grass flats on Toledo Bend & the marshes of Southwest Louisiana.

Guest muddy

Here Ya go a DRIFT SOCK, we just ordered one. I have seen them used with great sucess and LBH reccomended we get one. This is not reccomended by brand it will get to the site where they are

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0012305&navCount=1&parentId=cat21302&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat21276-cat21302_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat21302&rid=

I use t-rigs and keep the wind at my back drifting me and kinda steer the line I want to fish with the TM.I cast ahead to likely looking spots and keep up with the slack as the boat gets closer.

Maybe you are talking about baits like senkos and dingers that won't sink because the bow in your line is holding them up.  If this is the case, try putting a split shot on your line (maybe two depending on the size) to make like a mini-C-rig.  This helps hold your bait in position and still allows the wind current to put it in front of the fish.

That is exactly the issue I've had many times while fishing light plastics in the wind.  The wind tugs so hard on my line that it causes the bait to be pulled heavily in the direction of the wind rather than sinking the way it should.  Completely changes the action of the lure  >;).  Your split shot suggestion is a good idea though.  I'll have to give that a try next time I'm in a windy situation like that.

letting the current take you/boat and a tube dragged across the bottom has caught a lot of fish for me.  Also cast up wind with a jerkbait rip it back on the pause hold on man that has been productive for me as well- I like the wind as long as it aint 20+