Sign in to follow this  
Hawg Fan

Jig Trimming Techniques

I was just curious if you trimmed and cut your weed guards out of the package. If so i was wondering if i could get a little tutorial from somone.

Thanks for reading!

Nick

Nope, I don't trim the skirt or the weedguard.

8-)

I make my own jigs so I trim all the skirts but I trim them long as I want a slow falling big profile bait.

I use 3 kinds of weedguard: stainless wire, fg 12 and fg 30. The stainless gets trimmed to just touching the hook point when bent back. The fg 12 never gets cut. The fg 30 gets cut at an angle just above the bend of the hook.DSC02163.jpg

I trim my weedgaurd and I also trim the skirt up.  I just think it makes the jig a bit more appealing to the bass. Here is a link that you may find very helpful.  http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&&mode=article&objectID=31211&cat=Fishing&subcatID=14&objectType=article&cmid=OLBASIC_31211_TITLE

I fish a lot of open water with a jig- so I trim the guard up quite a bit, probably 1/8-1/4" before the hook point and I thin out the strands- in open water the weed guard will help some with preventing snags in the rocks- some guys cut it off completely I don't- If I trim the skirt at all it is not extreme- maybe an 1/8" on the sides to narrow the profile.

I guess I just can't help myself. I spent some time today trimming jig skirts and guards on all my new jigs.  

I trim the weedguard to just in line with the hook point. More important though is thinning it out some and spreading it out so it's even. I don't fish real heavy cover much, so I get it thin to where it will colapse fairly easily allowing for good hook penetration.

As far as the skirt goes, I usually trim it up to in line with the bottom of the hook bend. Trimming the skirt up will give the skirt more of a flair to where it puffs out from the hook, making it look more alive. Also, I think it gives the bait a more compact profile and shows the trailer better.

SC

Regardless of jig weight, if the fish are looking for a larger profile, don't trim skirt and use a slightly longer trailer or pinch a craw to desired length. Some time the fish like the slightly longer look. If you find the fish wanting the smaller profile, trim the skirt as mentioned in previous posts and use smaller or compact chunk or trailer. Important to realize that when using an action trailer like Rage Tails or Paca's, your skirt can impede the desired action. On the hook guard, it depends on which model jig you are using and the type of cover you are in, as to whether or not trimming is required. All jigs are not created equal, many have varying strength guards as well. Really stiff guards, I trim as above mentioned. Softer ones, I will leave a little longer. Open water, guard is not so important and visa versa.