Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Check GOOGLE maps/satellite imagery

Was at the lake yesterday and was encountered by a guy carrying a bow. I dont know anything about hunting so I asked him what the deal was. Said he was hunting a nuisance bear and had a blind set up back behind the dam of the lake,near a 40'x20' pool. I inquired about the pool and he told me theres Catfish and Bass in the pool. I decided to do a Google Map search and sure nuff,theres a pool in the satellite imagery. I also found a path to it so it wont be so far a walk,Maybe I can get my 4x4 on that path. Looks like ill be exploring a new area next time I go to the lake. The guy told me he never sees anyone fish at the pool and hes pulled 3lb Bass out of there.

Im not sure how recent the imagery is but its certainly worth a look.

So basically all I am saying is it pays off to check Google Maps in case you hear of a body of water thats out of the way a bit,and not known of,just to positively validate someones story.

Oh I almost forgot.It might be a good idea to print out a aerial photo of the lake and laminate it. Then with a grease pencil mark where you are planning to  be when at the lake. Give the map to a loved one or friend. That way should something happen,theyll be able to better pinpoint your location,should you not return at the expected time.

thanks for the tip fishinaz, ive used Google maps but never thought about printing out the map and using it that way.

Thanks again,

Alfred

I've been using Google Earth maps for a few months. It really helped me find a few good farm ponds. You'd never know they were there just from driving by. Now that i have the boat i used the satelite pics to look for points and other features that can be seen from the air. The pics can be anything from 2 to 5 years old, but there still a great way to see stuff that's under the surface. especially if your dealing with clear water. Keep checking the pics every few months, Google periodically updates them with new ones.

Some of the maps are old. I know of one 500 acre lake that doesn't show up and I've known about this lake since '93 and I'm sure its way older than that.

Ya Know Im not real sure of this guys story. He says there was a Nuisance bear dumping over trash cans in the campground of the lake. The trash cans are square, bolted to concrete slabs and about 4 feet long and theres no way for the lids to be lifted because the lids have handles that are recessed. Anyway I asked him if he was with the Game and Fish Dept and he said no. But they contacted him and hired him for this job(So he says). I think the Game and Fish commisssion would have someone on thier staff to take care of the bear and If the bear was a nuisance they would tranquilize it and relocate it. The guy had no sidearm that I could see which is normally always carried when hunting. He said he came out 2 weeks ago and shot a big bear but couldnt bring it back cause the brush was too thick for him to track it. How inhumane. To Just shoot it,and let it run around,die and then rot!!! Or if he didnt get his arrow placed correctly theres a bear running around with an arrow stuck in it ,possibly infected and in pain. This guy was also saying theres BIG BLUE Catfish in the lake I was fishing. Horse Hockey. I dont even think Blues are anywhere near Arizona. I know the Record Channel came out of the lake I was fishing but no catfish have been caught in years out of that lake. I will be careful when im back there but as far as a Bear goes,his story dont add up,not saying there cant be a bear,but his version of the bear thing aint jiving in my book.

Let's not forget there's an ornery bear back there, be careful.

Well, sometimes you eat the bear. Sometimes the bear eats you.

Here's a bad one...

http://barkbarkwoofwoof.blogspot.com/Yogi%20Bear%20Cropped%2012-11-05.JPG

LBH is right.  Even the comparatively mild-mannered Black Bear (The U. of Maine mascot, BTW) is dangerous, especially if it's a sow with a cub(s) in tow.

Mebbe yew oughta wait until this particular bear is in the process of becoming a fireplace hearth rug.

http://bonniettascrochet.blogdrive.com/images/Bear%20Skin%20Rugs%20001.jpg

Awwwww....sniffle.

Have a beary nice day,

FlyRod

Wildlife Consultant at Large

If you really want to see something amazing, google up new orleans on the maps and take a look.  They've added new photo's of the north part of town showing all the destruction plus they kept a couple old sections in for comparison.

Wow! Sort of depressing really.  Go up the gulf coast towards mississippi and alabama.  Look closely at the towns along the coast.  Notice all the blue roof tops (tarps). The destruction by Kartrina was amazing.  

The most detailed one I've seen is Microsoft's: local.live.com, on the "Bird's Eye View" where available. Then you can rotate and do a lot of cool stuff.

I use google earth a lot for my fishing, as well as Geoportail (basically more detailed than google earth, but only for France, which actually suits my needs).

Google earth is really a great tool.

Sometimes I get a bit frustrated because I can't zoom in as much as I would.

I'm looking forward to that time when we will have live satellite coverafe of the earth. Then we can zoom in on the shallows and see if the bass are bedding/ hanging around cover...Etc

I used Google for a while but recently I've found that Microsoft provides much more detailed and more recent satellite imagery on their "live" platform.  You can zoom in further too.  Try it out:

http://maps.live.com/

Surprisingly big improvement over Google's maps.  I checked out my local reservoir and could actually zoom in so close you can see some large rocks 3' under the water!  Amazing detail overall.

Let's not forget there's an ornery bear back there, be careful.

lol, that's what I was gonna say!

Googled up the location of 2 ponds by my work a couple days ago. Hit both of them for lunch time. I was in hawg heaven when I walked up on both of them as they both had all of the characteristics to be extremely productive. Much to my dismay, both appeared to be "dead" with no signs of fish in either one of them  >;)