Sign in to follow this  
bronzeback01

chatterbaits how do you fish them ?

I fish them just like a spinnerbait, my fav is the 3/8 ounce black and blue. i bring them downt he logs at some lakes around here and fish smash them! I've noticed that they catch big fish too, like bigger than average not like 20 lbers lol

Throw em out reel em in! These baits vibrate so much it's rediculous. Fish them like you would a spinnerbait. They won't roll either so you can reel them really fast too.

I fish them like a swimming jig. Pick it up, let flutter, bigger bites seem to come that way. Early in the morning i fish it under the surface like a wake bait.

I fish them two ways, depending on the cover in the area.  If there is a lot of grass, I fish them like a spinner bait or Rat-L trap - swim 'em into the grass and then rip them out.  If there is not much cover in the area, I fish 'em like sort of like a jigging spoon - pull to get 'em vibrating and them let 'em fall.  Be ready when fishing them this way - bass usually hit them on the fall and will hit them hard.

I take the skirts off of mine and replace it with a Lake Fork Tacke live magic shad or a fluke.

Vary the retrieve, the 'best' way will be different on different days.  I usually slow roll it along the bottom first, then speed up and work my way up the water column.

i tried a chatterbait today MAN! DOES IT VIABRATE !

It will give you carpal tunnel syndrome on braided line LOL.

i used my chatterbaits for the first time today and i would have to say i really like them, they produce a lot of vibration and i used mine many ways over a rip rap, swimming it, hopping it, slow rolling it, letting it drop onto the structure so the blade barely moved.

the only things i don't like about them is that they are really tiering on the rod i was using them with,  and it seems to have a lot of lift especially on fast retrieves, does anyone know how to fix or make these two problems better?

To address the lift you can bend the blade back and that will make it run down some. I also change the jig to a heavier one to get it down. I use a 3/4 oz on one of mine.

I like to slow roll them.