Sign in to follow this  
BassinBoy

The do nothing

Hey guys, was wondering what you think about a senko for flipping and pitching.  Its pretty heavy when its rigged weightless, slips through weeds easily, and has a good fall rate.  What would you rate a senko for flipping and pitching on dead calm days?

To me a Senko (one of my favorite baits) has too slow of a fall for pitching and flipping.  When I'm pitching and flipping I am doing it to specific targets and am typically only fishing the initial fall and then maybe one or two hops and its back in the next spot.  I would say that a Senko with a 1/8 oz-1/4 oz weight would work for pitching and flipping, but I personally wouldn't pitch and flip it.  

Now casting it to weed edges, or rip rap banks and the like is when it is at its best for me, but for pitching and flipping a jig, or a pegged t rig is what I'm going to have on the end of my flippin' stick.

Steve

My last couple of times out I have use the Senko exclusively for Flipping/Pitching for the exact reasons you mentioned with excellent results.

There are times when Stay & Play is better than Run & Gun   :o

This is a good technique :o I have even done the same with a fluke,particularly when I notice them crashing shad in among pads and cattails.

Another way I use a senko to pitch is to rear weight it with a stout nail.Pitch to the target or flip into the hole and everytime you lift up on it it wiggles back down into their face.This has been highly productive for me lately.

True, the greatest attribute of a senko is the slow seductive fall when rigged weightless wacky or otherwise, but it is a very versatile bait and fish just cant stand it.

when summer rolls around, you should try flipping wacky rigged senkos into pockets in lily pads....i think you will like the results :o

I've had good luck pitching them to the inside edge of grass lines.Also

holes in the hydrilla or other mats.

You bet, an unweighted freefall makes a great pitching tool. Since I pitch with spinning tackle, weight is never an issue.

I usually start-out looking for active bass with a 1/4 or 1/2 oz Sled-Head Jig.

But I'll often wind-up pitching an unweighted plastic like a fluke, stick worm or ugly otter.

However, when pitching a stick worm into bulrushes, I prefer Tiki Sticks to Senkos,

because they don't fall apart as readily and hide the hook-point from the bulrush canes a little better.

Roger