Sign in to follow this  
ventureboat

Jig Fishermen???

Never was big on jig fishing. Gonna make myself do it this year if it kills me. I've stocked up on my jigs, and every one I've purchased has a rattle. Are there good times, bad times to use rattles? I feel scent is a must. Any advice on the rattle factor? Thanks guys

I've found that their is a time and place for rattles.  I cant say Im a jig expert, but I usually use rattles when fishing for less aggresive bass, or in muddy water.  I've actually had more success without rattles, but again....I just started using jigs about a year ago

I fish a very clear reservoir and the only time I use a jig with a rattle is if the water gets stained or at night.

I fish a very clear reservoir and the only time I use a jig with a rattle is if the water gets stained or at night.

X2, except my lake isn't "very" clear.

I've fished very stained dirty water with a 6inch visibility with jigs and no rattle. Whether or not they "hurt your chances" I dont' know, but you definitely don't need them.

I agree with all who say that rattles are good in off color (cloudy) water or night. And not absolutely necessary other times. Many look at it like they do colors, early, late, dark and stained water (rattle).  Brighter daytime hours, clearer conditions, no rattle.  There are those who will say that lighter sounding rattle in normal conditions are preferred but I don't hold to that. Now there's alot of rattling info. for ya.

It is nice to hear a big jig fish in your grip, thrashing around at night with a Big- O rattle chatter'in. :o

www.ragetail.com

I've done better without them, even in dirty water.  Never use them at all anymore.  

What colors do you use for jigs in clear water, and do you downsize the weight just as you downsize other lure sizes?

Thanks