Sign in to follow this  
wantmohawgs

bream for big bass? let a pig go

Hi all, first post 8-)

Been doing alot of bass fishing since being laid off. This is nearing the end of 2 months of no work!

To the point.

Been catching plenty of 2-4 lber's in a pond within 100 ft of my front door. That wasnt getting old, but wanted to try a new lake. So headed up the road bout a mile.

So stood on the shoreline, threw out a ~8" black worm w/glitter. Got it out about 15 or so ft, and on the 4th try I landed a big one. Didnt even feel him hit it, noticed the line start going out then I yanked it she took off. On the line maybe 30 seconds and she jumped out the water ( tail was still in ) d**n, had to be all of 8 lbs. After that she ran out, pulled some drag with her, then turned around and started coming right to me. YES, then she got in some weeds and broke the line :'(

I packed up and headed home. I had some 4 lb test on there and if I want to catch the biggins, that was not the easy route. So picked up some 17 lb.

So my next ? is, I have easy access to bream, can I use them to catch big bass? If so, how to hook and what size?

After seeing that beauty, I am now hooked ;D

What is a "jig n pig?

A jig with a pork trailer. I have heard they work really good, but the pork is hard to get on/off. Besides, I bet they smell really bad. About hooking the fish, I do not know if that is legal check with your local game warden.

I can imagine you would probably hook it similar to a minnow, but not sure about hook size/ how to.

-searoach

I think the bigger portion of the problem here is that you were shorecasting. If you were "aquatically mobile" you probably could have avoided letting that big fella get himself wrapped in vegetation. If you didn't feel the bite with 4 lb test, then you probably won't with 17 lb test. If he was as big as you say he was then I think you did a hell of a job working him and managing your drag.

Yeah didnt think of that.

Guess Ill stick to worms, just it has been real windy here the last couple days and light tackle is not working. ( 30 mph gusts )

Any tips for bass fishing with wind like that?

Also I caught that bass while slowly reeling the worm in, is that right?

I really want to catch that one again, sucked that the worm and hook are still hooked to her. Think they came out? Thats why I want to try a different approach.

AJ, I WISH I had some way of getting out on the water. I would be out there 18 hours a day. Wouldnt have enough time in the day for myself if that was the case.

Well the bass hit it really soft ( I believe that is due to noone fishing this lake )  that bass had no idea there was a hook there it seemed, till I yanked back.

I have caught 30 or so bass these last couple months, and this one far excedded my expectations.

Welcome aboard!

If you are going to fish bream, use a #2 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hook.

8-)

I hear ya bud. I overdose on the amount of time I spend out. Just keep throwing different things and keep plugging. I've had alot of big ones get away from me. Either getting wrapped or a mistake on my part, or I didnt set the hook right. Yeup, I've broken a rod or two. How big is the pond?

Thnx for the welcome guys.

Size, Id say over 3 football fields long and 2 wide, with an island in the middle.

The reason for me saying noone fished this lake is because there wasnt easy access. They just put a road through there about a year ago.

Geez, I would kill for a pond that big. I bet the island in the middle holds bass real good.

-searoach

Bluegill, green sunfish, and the like ARE lethal for bass, especially big ones. If they are legal to use in your area, I would use a lot of them.

The most legal situation is when you are allowed to catch a bream in the water you are fishing and use it right there.  Bringing bream in from some place else in a bucket to bass fish...NO.

If using bream is legal, you should PM hawg caller. I know he "calls" a lot of "hawgs" with live bream, so he should have good advice about how to rig and fish them.

Another thing: why don't you just fish your worms with 17 pound test? No one says you have to use 4 lb test with worms...

I used to fish with bream in the past and it definitely works....usually larger bass as well.  As RW said, use a circle hook with live bait and don't set the hook.  Just reel in and keep on the pressure.  I hooked them right on the back with not too much meat on the hook.  I liked using the smaller 2-3 inch bream and that worked fine.

Catch the bream on a very small hook and a little cheese.....a little cheese chum line in the water helps too.  Get em fired up and you can catch em real quick.