Sign in to follow this  
SoCalRob

Go-to Bluegill Imitations?

Hey all...

I'm pretty new to the board and was wondering what is your go-to bluegill presentation? I'm interested in seeing what everyone else is using.

I used to kill them with the Castaic Bluegill with the soft-tail, but I'm looking for newer alternatives. My first purchase will probably be the Mattslures Bluegill, but looking for more alternatives. And BTW not just swimbaits...include your favorite crankbaits, plastics, etc.

Thanks much

Rob

I just read my post, and realized this doesn't totally make sense. What I'm trying to get at is how you target bass using bluegill imitations?

What are your favorite bluegill-type lures to fool LMB?

Rob

The castaic sunfish is a great gill imitator. I have even seen bluegill shaped cranks from bagley. I would use bluegill colored fat cranks.

Bagley Small Fry Bream   :)

BagleySmallFryBream.jpg

We do pretty well with Bluegill pattern soft plastic jerk shads.  YUM Houdini Shads and Berkley Jerk Shads have been the two best.

I've got the Bagley small fry and caught  a lot of nice bass. however I don't use it anymore since it is a collector's item... ;D

Rapala has a lipless bluegill crankbait (similar to a rat-l-trap), they also have a bluegill SSR and a bluegill deep diving crankbait.  I have caught bass on all three of them

Bagley Small Fry Bream

I agree, they are a fantastic lure.  They still make them, in diving and super shallow wake bait versions.

I'm surprised Mattlures hasn't gotten a mention.  

If you want to go cheap, get the Storm kickin' slab, it's OK, not in the Mattlures class, but not a dud either.

Something I would love to see is a suspending bluegill lure...

all of those are good, but i can't wait to throw this thing on a bed and watch a pig smack it. this is the BEST bluegill imitating bait i've ever seen. and i've used bagleys, rapala, and storm. nothing compares to this.

normal_Picture%20001%7E0.jpg

Rapala DT- series bluegill

Bagley Small Fry Bream   :)

BagleySmallFryBream.jpg

I'll agree with you on that CATT. Hey have you been able to find the 0-1 foot ones anywhere? I haven't seen them for 2 years now.

I tried the Mattlures Bluegill and had little success. I picked up a Jackall GIRON and was blown away the first outting. The lure has a pretty realistic movement; very, very slow fall; stops on a dime then turns to give you 9 cents change.

Brians Bees - Prop Bee #3 Topwater Prop Bait in Shell Cracker or Baby Bream.  See this months Bassmaster article with Jason Quinn or the classic patterns video he did on Summer patterns.  This bait is simply unreal for fishing the bream spawn and getting big bass to nail it.

See them at   http://www.brianscrankbaits.com/

Bagley Small Fry Bream :)

BagleySmallFryBream.jpg

I'll agree with you on that CATT. Hey have you been able to find the 0-1 foot ones anywhere? I haven't seen them for 2 years now.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0037595113575a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=bagley&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=bagley&noImage=0 there is a 0-4 foot one there and that might be the closest to what you want

I just got the 0-1 foot version at Gander, but they only had the LSB/Perch  color.  I just won the bluegill color on Ebay with a bunch of other bagleys, I think Ebay is the way to go to find the 0-1 foot...