Sign in to follow this  
Jigger1

Noob question :)

Hey I know that its always good to jump from one bait to the next until you find out whats hitting best but how do you go from bait to bait? Just cutting the string and retying? I know I heard someone said that theres like clips out there now? Do these affect the lure?

I'd say it's best to work a lure in a few different spots at differnt times of the day in different depths and water clarity before ruling it out for the day, you'll develop a very annoying and bad habit if you just toss a lure 10 times and then switch over and over because you didn't get a hit. Many of us are guilty of that and on the other side we're also guilty of not changing when we probably should. It's very important to develop a rythm with a lure once you get that and your presentation is on point you'll develop the confidence you need. Best thing i'd say is go with your instincts and ask around the body of water other people are fishing. IMO you can never go wrong with a green pumpkin or watermelon colored lure. The do have snaps and they're best for cranking lures not wire lures or single hooks for soft plastics, if you're gonna change your softplastic hooks, spinner baits/buzzbaits or any topwater bait IMO then stay away from snaps. I actually never use snaps ever since I started tying a palomar knot, it's so quick and easy. Hope that helps a little.

To avoid getting to carried away changing lures for starters keep a senko, spinnerbait, 2-4ft crankbait, and a buzzbait handy and go with you instincts, pay attention to your surroundings and fish action, if they're fiesty throw the spinnerbait and crankbait, if they're smacked up top wake that spinnerbait or crankbait or throw the buzzbait, if it's slow or really hot or really cold throw your senko, for starters... these lures are VERY versatile and work in MANY conditions... I'm not saying these are the only times to use those lures or ways to.

P.S. fire tiger, chartreuse, watermelon, green pumpkin is a great color to keep on you at all times.

oh almost forgot, a black and blue jig is always good to have

Take the time to re tie your baits and it is good in the case that you get a hold of a biggun cause you don't want your line to break.

Big O

www.ragetail.com

I use snap swivels on everthing but spinnerbaits.  They don't affect the lure that much, but yes on some more than others.

Thanks guys, really all I've been fishing is senko's and other jigs, but I want to try some cranks and spinners.

i use norman speed clips on a few crank baits and jerk baits. personaly i think its well worth the time to tie finesse baits directly.

Pick up another rod.

x2!

I hate cutting and re-tying every time I want to change baits. I told my wife the other day that I needed more rods so I didn't have to re-tie as often when I wanted to fish different baits. I told her my goal is to eventually own a different rod/reel combo for every lure in my tacklebox. Then I can dispose of my tackle box and never have to re-tie another knot! Of course, she wasn't as impressed with the idea as I was. :;)

I have given the palomar far too many chances and it's failed me when I really needed it.

Sounds like you may be tying it wrong or not wetting it before you cinch it, wetting the line with spit prevents it from heating up from the friciton caused when cinching it which leads to failure of the knot. I have been using the palomar exclusively for everything for about 7 years now and haven't had hardly any knot failures, have strightened quite a few hooks and clips with it though.

I have given the palomar far too many chances and it's failed me when I really needed it.

Sounds like you may be tying it wrong or not wetting it before you cinch it, wetting the line with spit prevents it from heating up from the friciton caused when cinching it which leads to failure of the knot. I have been using the palomar exclusively for everything for about 7 years now and haven't had hardly any knot failures, have strightened quite a few hooks and seivels with it though.

Hmm...

The strongest knot? Easiest to tie? Proven over time?

I think you need to practice a little more, maybe slow down and pay attention to every detail. The best way to practice this or any other knot is with a small diameter cotton rope. If you employee this suggestion, by seeing the procedure in greater detail, your mind will have a better comprehension of the mechanics involved.

Regarding switching lures:

I think the best approach is to have several rods rigged up. This way you can fish different techniques at various depths. On any given outing, bass may focus on the bottom (jigs and soft plastics); subsurface "moving lures" (crankbaits, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits); or topwater (Spooks, Sammy,buzzbait). You never can be sure until you give a couple a try.

8-)

I use the "uni" knot, It's easy and strong. Go to google and type in "knot wars" and there should be this website with videos demonstrating how to tie different knots. The uni is on there.

actually, here is a link for you

http://www.fishingclub.com/ExtraContent/ExtraContentDetail.aspx?id=132344

there is a lot of info on these videos, they tell you the pounds it took to break various knots of the same pound line.

Hey I know that its always good to jump from one bait to the next until you find out whats hitting best but how do you go from bait to bait? Just cutting the string and retying? I know I heard someone said that theres like clips out there now? Do these affect the lure?

I cut and re-tie for spinnerbaits, jigs, jerkbaits, and soft plastics.

The only time I use a clip is when I'm fishing cranks.

If I'm fishing a place that I can easily move around than I usually bring a rod rigged with a spinnerbait (so I don't have to cut and retie), a spinning rod rigged with a soft plastic, and another rod rigged with either a crank or a jig (depending on what place I'm fishing).

When I'm creek fishing its pretty much all plastics so I bring only one setup.