Sign in to follow this  
Castamasta

flukes??

been hearing of success with flukes, and i have never fished with one before. how do you guys rig them, and what are your presentations?? thanks

Depends I guess where your fishing them. As for me my main habitat is shallow water (deepest is around 6ft) around lots of big weedbeds and over the tops of millfoil and stuff. If Im fishing a Fluke JR, I rig it weightless (T-rig) on a 1/0 Gamagatsu hook. For Super Flukes I rig them same way only on a 4/0 Gamagatsu hook. I change the gauges of hooks (Thin or thick wired) depending on the fall rate Im looking for on it. The main colors I use are natural, Tennessee shad I think they call it. Basically just matching the hatch.

Hope this helps!!! I love Flukes ;D

We use them for river Smallies any time the water is clear enough.  We rig them on 5/0 or 6/0 EWG Gammie Superline hooks.  The superline hooks are made from heavier gauge wire which adds weight to the presentation.  This helps get the bait a bit deeper.  We mostly throw them in and/or near slower moving water.

For Largemouth, we use them over the top of and around shallower weedbeds.  In both cases, minnow imitating colors generally work the best.

Flukes, aka Gulp Jerk Shads.... oooohhhh they tear the fish UP! I fish them weightless too. They are unbelieveable. I really like the gulp due to how soft they are. They also come in a certain color I have yet to find anywhere else. I do have other brands. The Yum ones have a unique tail that you can alter yourself to match your presentation.

I find them good for ponds that have alot of snot grass.  I use white alot.  Throw out twitch pause twitch pause.  Acts like a dying fish.  When i get to a open pocket in the overgrown snot I let it sink.  POW!  

The other day I was fishing a weightless vibra tube like a jerkbait and I was killing the fish. I also caught one one a senko rigged and fished the same wasy as well as one on a Zoom Fluke Jr. I think my go to bait is definately going to be a soft jerkbait from now on. The action the bait gives off is like no other lure.

cj showed me a killer double-fluke rig down in g'ville one day. there were about 10 boats in this shallow cove and we were right in the middle of them when we noticed schoolies were chasing baitfish right up to the surface. we didn't see a single other boat catching that afternoon but as soon as cj tied this rig on he started hammerin em. i wasn't as succesful but still managed a 5lb channel cat on the rig.

just add a swivel to your line like you would for a dropshot rig but instead of a weight tie on another fluke. i like the leaders to the flukes to be different lengths, just to add a little distance between them in the water. texas rig the flukes on a EWG hook, and if you want you can add a small splitshot weight to the shank of the hook towards the head of the fluke to give it a different wiggle on the fall. work it like a jerkbait, two quick jerks on a slack line and then let it fall for a couple seconds.

4/0 weightless ewg

cj showed me a killer double-fluke rig down in g'ville one day. there were about 10 boats in this shallow cove and we were right in the middle of them when we noticed schoolies were chasing baitfish right up to the surface. we didn't see a single other boat catching that afternoon but as soon as cj tied this rig on he started hammerin em. i wasn't as succesful but still managed a 5lb channel cat on the rig.

just add a swivel to your line like you would for a dropshot rig but instead of a weight tie on another fluke. i like the leaders to the flukes to be different lengths, just to add a little distance between them in the water. texas rig the flukes on a EWG hook, and if you want you can add a small splitshot weight to the shank of the hook towards the head of the fluke to give it a different wiggle on the fall. work it like a jerkbait, two quick jerks on a slack line and then let it fall for a couple seconds.

great tip! ;) I'll try that sometime