Sign in to follow this  
Redlinerobert

Absinthe?  You guys ever try it?

Seems to be gaining in popularity.  Never tried it but I'm curious.  

I have wanted to. Im a bit of a chicken @#&^ when it comes to the "importing" that is neccessary though.

Yes, many years ago and I hated it.

Used in New Orleans French Quarter quite a bit for their various libations.

In fact, there was the Old Absinthe House in the Quarter when I was growing up.  I have no idea if it is still there.

So how is business?

Only without wormwood, but at 160 proof and a terrible anise taste, it's some crazy stuff. Needless to say my bottle is pretty full. Its recently legalized so it seems. You know about the guy in Alameda making it Robert? Here's the article. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/05/MNQJTO9FM.DTL&tsp=1

Heard its selling out quick. Read another article about a metalsmith who started making absinthe spoons to follow up with the recent legalization.

I didnt know that it was decriminalized. I have had enough moonshine in my day to not have any interest in absinthe that doesnt have wormwood in it.

Its 2:30 AM so after skimming over the article I couldnt find out if the newly legal absinthe still has wormwood, and if so, in what concentration. Little good it does if you cant feel the wormwood's effects before passing out from nearly pure alchohol...

Someone fill me in, I'm confused.  It sounds like a drug you drink but I know Robert better than that.  Then again,....he said he's never done any illegal drug ever.  Did they come out with one that's Tequila flavored or something?? ;D

google wormwood.

if memory serves it is a mild hallucinogen and considered the "active" ingredient in absinthe. couple those effects with 160-190 proof alchohol...you get the picture ;D

I had a few friends try it and they told me it was some pretty serious stuff.

i've tried it, tastes like $#!*. and reaaly doesn't do too much but get you drunk.(i did have ample amount) propbably won't drink it again cause of the taste, but to all their own- you may like it..

Had the fake me out brand.  Me and some friends had to drive to an ABC in Maryland to get a bottle of that and a bottle of everclear.  If you like black licorice or however you spell it this stuff is for you.  If not you probably will vomit.  Anyway, I guess what we did was pour the absinthe over a sugar cube in a spoon with a slit in it.  You pour it in a small high ball type glass and drink it straight with the mixed in sugar (stir after cube disolves).  Don't know if any of you others have done it this way.  But after two glasses I was feeling pretty good lol.

Everclear is better though.  Man, pour a half shot in a mixed drink or what not and it seriously is the memory eraser.  Don't remember NOTHIN' from the night before.  Pure grain alcohol.... craziness.

Thats how they serve it in bars in Europe.  Last I knew only a few euro contries still had the wormwood infused stuff, but it isnt impossible to get ahold of.  When I was in Germany we had a bartender that loved getting tips for grabbing the "wrong" bottle of the stuff

Nope. I try to stay away from the hard stuff. Brewskies usually do it for me or some nice wine. That stuff sounds as potent as Romulan Ale!

Isn't that stuff you mix with sugar and ladium then light on fire? ;D

Yes I have had it, the good stuff, and yes it is good. Buddy of mine bought a very good bottle, and we have two bars that I know of in Milwaukee that serve it in drinks, #@$%^& expensinve drink!. Dont drink this stuff straight!!! its nasty if you take it straight. Pour your ounce to ounce and a half in a glass, take a slotted spoon with a sugar cube and place it over the glass, pour ICE COLD water over the sugar cube. If the drink doesnt cloud up...you did it wrong. The Ice water lets out the other flavors in absinthe, and dulls the anise flavor. Its really good stuff, and it will get your really good and drunk. But I do still preffer my Jack.

Not since I was about 16.

Oh, wait absinthe, not abstinence.

I didnt know that it was decriminalized. I have had enough moonshine in my day to not have any interest in absinthe that doesnt have wormwood in it.

Its 2:30 AM so after skimming over the article I couldnt find out if the newly legal absinthe still has wormwood, and if so, in what concentration. Little good it does if you cant feel the wormwood's effects before passing out from nearly pure alchohol...

Yeah It's got wormwood in it, that was the whole issue in the past. I believe absinthe without wormwood has always been fine?

there was something on either nat. geo. or history about absinthe and it is gaining major popularity in france and other parts of europe. there was this guy whose great grandfather was an absinthe maker that got shut down and moved to america. this guy found a recipe in a safety deposit box and moved to europe to make it. pretty nostalgic and aristocratic drink. not so sure about the hallucinogens. the only affects of absinthe ive seen first hand didnt turn out to be pretty.  

A friend of mine brought back a few bottles from a business trip to Europe.  A few Labor Days ago we got loopy as all heck off the stuff @ his annual party.  Enjoyable in moderation.  Definitely a different kind of buzz.  As I said, it was enjoyable.

Haven't had any of the "real" thing in at least ten years. Had a bud who used to make regular trips to Italy as part of his job. He'd always bring me a bottle. It was a bit easier to do before 9-11.

I do have a bottle of Absente in the cabinet. it's the only legal absinthe that I'm aware of. I may be wrong about that, not being a true afficianado. It's not bad, pretty close in taste to the old stuff, if my memory serves.

If anybody wants to try it, I'll bring it along on the Roadtrip. If you like licorice, or anise, you'll probably like this stuff. Me, I like Sambuca or ouzo better.

Cheers,

GK

People keep comparing it to licorice. Are we talking like a jagermeister taste?

Most people I've talked to said it tastes crummy and the results aren't worth the trouble. Of course these folks were hard to impress.