Sign in to follow this  
Tpayneful

What ever happened to this rumor?!?!

I waited an entire year and these things never happened!!

Big Industry News!!!

02/28/07 at 5:19pm I have this info and am certain it is true!!!

1. Wal-Mart IS quitting the fishing/tackle business.

2.Johnny Morris of Bass Pro fame IS Buying Gander Mountain

3. Johnny Morris IS buying B.A.S.S.

This is NOT internet babble but hard facts thru an indrustry insider.

Unless I just missed it, I have not seen the Johnny Morris news on BassResource.com yet.

The Wal-Mart's in my area have since 2006 stock less fishing stuff  :o

Each Walmart stocks a different amount and selection of lures.  I have 4 Walmarts in my area and each has a different size fishing department.  Since that rumor is a year old I would say that that one didn't come true.  

I was in my Gander Mountain today and their was no sign of BPS ownership.  They didn't have 8lb or 15lb Pline fluorocarbon, size 1 snaps or junebug baby brush hogs.  Half of the stuff I planned on purchasing, they didn't have.  If BPS had bought them, their shelves would have been stocked!

I watched the Bassmaster classis last week and ESPN still owned it.

Looks like 0-3 to me!

The Wal-Mart's in my area have since 2006 stock less fishing stuff :o

Walmart by us in  FL has just redesigned and restockd their fishing department.

I don't buy my fishing equip or supplies at wal-mart anyway.  So I really could care less if they did quit selling fishing stuff.

I spoke to the manager of the sporting goods department at my local Wal-Mart and he said that each manager has the option of stocking which fishing tackle applies to his area.

So in my area there is more freshwater fishing than saltwater fishng so we have more freshwater items to select among.

We also have excellent catfish fishng in the Historic James River so they stock catfish supplies, rods and reeles.

The Wal-Mart in South Hill, Virginia, near Kerr and Buggs, has an outstanding fishing department stocked with lots of freshwater fishing items.

So I would think it is at the descretion of the Wal-Mart managers to order and stock what will sell in their various geographical locations.

As for anyone purchasing BPS, they better have some strong financial backing.

I could see another corporation from the USA or Japan making the purchase but not one individual.

Just food for thought.

Who put this up originally?

I think it was the same guy who went postal on here that day with the texas=kkk racism posts

Why do they have to make the Texas guys look bad. Please dont stereotype not all of us Texas guys are like that. Probably not even from Texas probablly from Cali.JK  ;D ;)

FisherDave

Did I miss something???

I will go out on a limb here and say, yes you did   ;)

Muddy,

BassChaser57 posted this originally on February 28, 2007.  It took me all of two seconds to find it in a search because I remembered his screename.

THAT WAS THE BEST RUMOR OF THE YEAR!

I can still dream of a day when there will be a real tackle shop here again instead of Wallyworld! Someone doing inventory, and selling gear and guns that has actually fired a rifle and cast a crankbait. Instead of someone who was doing womens underwear the day before.

Around here (Decatur, Texas) our Wal-mart has stayed about the same with the fishing department.  They carry a little less reels in the counter than four or five years ago, but there's still at least a dozen or so.  My wife's cousin was a sporting goods manager in Southeastern Oklahoma and they did away with department managers a couple of years ago.  Here at our Wal-mart there are a couple of "regular" employees working the department, but if you go at night you're liable to speak to a fabric employee who knows nothing about anything.

The Wal Marts in Dallas have reduced the fishing (and hunting) departments by 50% at least in the last two years. I believe it is because of the competition from Academy, Dick's and Bass Pro.

It is very likely that Bass Pro was interested in buying Gander Mountain and quite possibly were negotiating the deal. GM has had its ups and downs the past several years. Cabella's bought GM's "direct sales" (internet and catalog) division some time ago and GM could not reenter that segment under the agreement (there was a law suit that Cabela's won on that). Gander Mountain recently bought another company that is in the internet/catalog business in order to get back in that segment.

The Wal-Mart in Durham has one of the best fishing selections in the area.  Not much for Rods and Reels, but lures and line are great.  The two that run the deptartmnet are fisherman themselves and very helpful.

As far as the other rumors - that's funny.

I vaguely remember those.