Sign in to follow this  
Catt

How can ESPN

List the top 25 NCAA Basketball players ever & not have Peter "Pistol Pete" Maravich #1?

Holds NCAA career record for most points (3,667, 44.2 ppg, three-year career) in 83 games

Holds NCAA career record for highest points per game average (44.2 ppg)

Holds NCAA record for most field goals made (1,387) and attempted (3,166)

Holds NCAA record for most free throws made (893) and attempted (1,152)

Holds NCAA record for most games scoring at least 50 points (28)

Holds NCAA single-season record for most points (1,381) and highest per game average (44.5 ppg) in 1970

Holds NCAA single-season record for most field goals made (522) and attempted (1,168) in 1970

Holds NCAA single-season record for most games scoring at least 50 points (10) in 1970

Holds NCAA single-game record for most free throws made (30 of 31) against Oregon State on Dec. 22, 1969

Led the NCAA Division I in scoring with 43.8 ppg (1968); 44.2 (1969) and 44.5 ppg (1970)

Guest muddy

An unknown player named KAREEM!!!!!!!!!!! The best college player and teamleader ! Thier # 2 is my favorite Oscar Robertson, the best play setter of all time NCAA an NBA , They got it more than right . My top 5

Kareem

Oscar

Bill Walton

Pete Marovich

Jerry West

Scoring isn't everything.  Kobe could score 50 a night if he wanted to, and the Lakers would only score 60-70 points, but they'd lose a lot more games than they'd win.  How many assists, steals, and rebounds did he average?

Guest muddy

Agreed My favorite all time College/Pro Is Oscar Robertson. Watching a defense crumble around him, and he finding passing lanes the size of sun rays was incredible. When I look at the best player on a team sport I look for Who LEAD their team, as the steward on court, offense and DEFENSE . Kareem Ruled College.

An unknown player named KAREEM!!!!!!!!!!! The best college player and teamleader ! Thier # 2 is my favorite Oscar Robertson, the best play setter of all time NCAA an NBA , They got it more than right . My top 5

Kareem

Oscar

Bill Walton

Pete Marovich

Jerry West

Hmm...

I'm surprised Michael Jordan didn't make your top five.

He seemed "a little above average" to me.

8-)

Guest muddy

YUp!!!!!!!!!!!!

RW: I think MJ is on their list , I wonder if Hurley made it, that's an interesting argument to be made.

Case in Point; Ewig was great in College but no ring, same in the pros he could never lead a tem to beat a team lead by Jordan for a championship. Knicks had the Bulls on the ropes twice and couldn't finsih em and the same goes for Geogetown trying to beat NC when Jordan was there. Greatest palyer calls for depth,leadership and some trophies!

Kareem had a lot of advererial press coverage he was one of the biggest Black Players of the 60's in HS, then onto college, he was from NY and he became a Muslim. He carried himself with dignity and still does even today!

I don't know that MJ would of been in my top 5 college players either.  Key word obviously being college.  I'm fairly certain he never even averaged 20 a game.  Hence the saying the only person that can hold Jordan under 20 is Dean Smith.

Guest muddy

Thanks KU. Lattiner!!!!! now there is an example of a team leader without a whole lot of huge stats! No Manning,No Roach ,No Hurley  They have great pics though and my order might be a little different but they got it right for the most part.

Lattiner was a great college player, but I think they got him a little high.  Magic is probably to low and I first I thought Bird as well.  You get into those top 8 though and it gets harder and harder to move him up.

Not only was Pistol know for dazzling ball handling & incredible shooting abilities he was unbelievable creative at passing the ball leading the league in assists. Was he a team leader? With his ball control, passes, head fakes, and long range shots no one in that era could keep up with his amazing pace!

Kareem

Oscar

Bill Walton

Pete Marovich

Jerry West

Hmm...

I'm surprised Michael Jordan didn't make your top five.

He seemed "a little above average" to me.

8-)

I  am a huge Carolina fan.I think Michael Jordan was a good college player,and he went to high school in Wilmington. However, he did not become the icon until he was in college. It should be noted that 2 of the top 3 come from a school that won 10 of 12 National Titles. I will agree  Catt in that Pistol Pete should've been higher than five. His records were set at time when there was not a 3 point shot and will never be broken. These kids will not stay in school long enough to do. it. I think that the reason Pete Maravich was not higher is because LSU never won a National Championship while he was there. I agree with the poll with the exception that Walton should have been higher than Karem. Walton was an first squad All American all three years he played and he is the only person at UCLA to have his number retired. I heard this was because at UCLA, to have your number retired you have to be an All American all 4 years to that you played. Back in the 60' and early 70's freshman did not play at the varsity level.

It starts slow but stay with it  ;)

YUp!!!!!!!!!!!!

RW: I think MJ is on their list , I wonder if Hurley made it, that's an interesting argument to be made.

Case in Point; Ewig was great in College but no ring, same in the pros he could never lead a tem to beat a team lead by Jordan for a championship. Knicks had the Bulls on the ropes twice and couldn't finsih em and the same goes for Geogetown trying to beat NC when Jordan was there. Greatest palyer calls for depth,leadership and some trophies!

Kareem had a lot of advererial press coverage he was one of the biggest Black Players of the 60's in HS, then onto college, he was from NY and he became a Muslim. He carried himself with dignity and still does even today!

Muddy,

Ewing won a National Championship in 1984 and lost the titile game in 1985. I think ESPN was going on what these guys did in college not their pro career. This is why Christian Laetner was higher than Jordan. He won back to back titles at Duke.

Guest muddy

Sorry Big T I meant he was never able to win a deciding title game against any team with Jordan on it.i HAVE MUCH RESPECT FOR PISTOL pETE, HE ALSO HELPED PUT THE ABA ON THE MAP He was not a good enough defensive player , at his NCAA level as my top  guy

No other NCAA player ever dominated their era as Kareem.

Muddy,

It's all cool. I am a too young to remember the ABA, or the UCLA teams of the 60' and 70's. But I am a basketball junkie and love to watch as many old highlight films and shows on the history of basketball.

T

It's ironic that they didn't change the rules of basketball for the top 9 players of all time.   ::)

The BIRDman made it. This Hoosier is HAPPY! Pete was one heck of a player but the competition is so tough at the top that deciding who's #1 can end up being subjective. IMO.