Sign in to follow this  
Junebug

UFC 83

Anybody else excited about it?  I can't wait.  I personally don't think there's any way that Serra beats St. Pierre again, but some fighters just have the kryptonite for others.  I'm an MMA fanatic, I can't wait to see this one.

I think GSP looked past Serra last time and underestimated him a bit. I'd bet the farm that it dont happen again this time.

I'm with you on that.  Plus the fight is in Canada. All the cards are stacked in St. Pierre's favor.  

Maybe Serra will give him another good fight, and this can become a trilogy.

That yankee runt loudmouth Serra isn't half the fighter GSP is.  GSP is one of most talented and well-rounded fighters in the UFC.

I wouldnt be surprised if the Bisping/McCarthy fight is the one to watch on the evening.

Bisping is a beast and McCarthy has great ground.  Ought to be a really good one...

I wouldnt be surprised if the Bisping/McCarthy fight is the one to watch on the evening.

Bisping is a beast and McCarthy has great ground. Ought to be a really good one...

It should be Hamill fighting McCarthy since Hamill technically beat Bisping in their fight....that was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen.

Agreed FBL.  It was the wrong decision at the time, but I still think Bisping is the better fighter (not on that night though).

Hamill is still very rough.  If and when he polishes up a bit, his wrestling could be very tough for a lot of people to deal with.

Also, Hamill is still a light heavy and Bisping/McCarthy is at middleweight.  Bisping dropped to 185 for this one to try his hand at a lighter weight.

I Tivo'd the Countdown to 83 the other night and just got time to watch it.

Sounds like GSP likes to dish it out but seems to not like it when its given back to him.

If Serra wins, I think that's bad for the UFC and the direction they are going.

If GSP wins, he will have to go on to defend successfully for a few fights.

I'm not sure who I'd like to see win.  Part of me would like to see Sera win.  He seems to show respect, until he thinks someone has dissed him.  Then he lays it on them.  I kinda like that.

Sounds like GSP likes to dish it out but seems to not like it when its given back to him.

like to see Sera win. He seems to show respect, until he thinks someone has dissed him. Then he lays it on them. I kinda like that.

Exactly,  GSP is obviously the better well rounded fighter but i'm up for Serra...He's always honest - doesnt make excuses and says it like it is.....GSP showed how mentally weak he was by losing to Hughes the first time and also by losing to Serra and then he caved and started giving excuses why he lost to serra a few weeks after the fight after he was first saying "serra won because he was the better man that night"....WAR SERRA!

GSP should kill him.  He is lightning fast.  In his last bout with Hughes he kicked him in the head and knocked him out.  After the fight Hughes said he thought a punch knocked him out untill he saw the replay.  DANG, thats fast.

GSP should kill him. He is lightning fast. In his last bout with Hughes he kicked him in the head and knocked him out. After the fight Hughes said he thought a punch knocked him out untill he saw the replay. DANG, thats fast.

That was 3 fights ago. He has fought Hughes (again) and Serra since that happened. The last time he fought Hughes, Hughes had to verbally "tap" so GSP wouldn't break his arm off. He dominated Hughes 2 times in a row.....both those fights made Hughes look like a chump....which he's definitely not.

I think GSP will hammer Serra this time.

Im calling Serra over GSP in a classic. Lutter submits Franklin and he unceremoniously rides off into the sunset and goes back to teaching. And for my final prediction Bisping levels Mccarthy at :37 of the first

You guys are right about Serra being loud and obnoxious, but he is NOT over-rated.  In fact, the reason he beat GSP in the first fight is because he was so under-rated.  Serra is an excellent BJJ tactician, he also has very good stand-up and wrestling.  I do think GSP is a better athlete, and probably more well-rounded as a fighter.  I think GSP will win, but I still have an immense amount of respect for Serra's ability.  

I agree with you about Serra's ability. You don't win a Gold Medal in the Pan Am Games by not being good. I like Serra although I think he dodged fighting Hughes (convenient injury about a month before the fight)....I wanted to see that one.

well, that was good.  Serra's conditioning (or lack there-of) was disappointing.  GSP was in incredible shape as always, and he simply exhausted Serra and "took the fight" as he said.  

GSP is clearly the best welterweight fighter, and possibly the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.  

Other fights tonight were mediocre.  Lutter simply quit against Franklin.  Kaleb Starnes does not belong in the UFC octagon, and I'm sure after this performance we won't see him in there again.  Bisping looked great against an inferior opponent at 185 lbs.  I think Bisping and Lyoto Machida may be the next fighters to get a chance at Anderson Silva.  

UFC 84 has a great looking card.  My favorite fighter, BJ Penn, is fighting Sean "muscle head (roid rage)" Sherk for the Lightweight championship.  If BJ wins he may have to fight Kenny Florian in defense of the title.  He may also move up to 185 to challenge GSP.  Also, Lyoto Machida is going to fight Tito Ortiz (and I hope Machida destroys him... I'm confident that he will).  And, "The Dean of Mean" will be fighting "The Axe Murderer."  That should be an action-packed fight to say the least.  I think it's safe to say, someone is going to get KO'd!

June, I agree with your assessments. Although my favorite moment of the night is a toss up between Kalib Starnes getting shown up at the end of one the WORST in ring performances I have ever seen and Mac Danzig's two phenomenal knees....And props to Florian for doing a pretty decent job filling in for Rogan