Sign in to follow this  
fish-fighting-illini

Gilroy Ca Stinks!

Literaly,

Hey robert I was watching some show about gardens and it visited Gilroy CA. Apparently Gilroy is the Garlic capitol of the US?

How does it work does everyone live on the east side so when the wind blows they don't smell it?

Is garlic even pungent before harvested?

Learn something new everyday

FFI - AKA Matt crum

This time of year, you can smell the canneries cooking the garlic.  Makes me hungry when I get home.  :)

I live outside of town, west side up in the mountains.  so the smell carries here.  It's not overbearing, and honestly, it does smell really good...

I was hoping to experience this when I visited.  I guess it's just certain times of year.  Reminds me of Vermont during maple syrup season, the sugar houses cooking off the maple smells awesome in your house if you live downwind. (I did)

The funny thing about reading this is that I have a dozen heads of Garlic roasting right this very minute (working on a new roasted garlic/rosemary puree for sauces).

My house smells like heaven right now :)

there is a chicken processing plant in my town. so when it gets hot guess what yopu get to smell

The Gilroy Garlic Festival is the only reason I'd ever enter the state of California.

That and the outstanding extradition warrant..... ;D

I was hoping to experience this when I visited.  I guess it's just certain times of year.  Reminds me of Vermont during maple syrup season, the sugar houses cooking off the maple smells awesome in your house if you live downwind. (I did)

The funny thing about reading this is that I have a dozen heads of Garlic roasting right this very minute (working on a new roasted garlic/rosemary puree for sauces).

My house smells like heaven right now :)

Throw in some ground beef and noodels and I am flying your way for dinner.

-searoach

It'd be interesting to switch out garlic for the smells I get from the Nabisco cookie factory or the Tootsie Roll factory. Depending on the wind and I can get either 1 of the 2 where I'm at in Chicago.

I can take the smell of manure anytime, garlic, no problem, chicken procesing plant, nothing out of this world, come down here where I live when it 's warm and muggy, tanneries gentlemen !  :o  that 's all we 've got in the city by the dozens and it smells YUCK !

I can take the smell of manure anytime, garlic, no problem, chicken procesing plant, nothing out of this world, come down here where I live when it 's warm and muggy, tanneries gentlemen ! :o that 's all we 've got in the city by the dozens and it smells YUCK !

I could live with the tannery smell if I had the Argentinian beef place close by. :)

I think Ill stick with the nice BBQ smell i get around here  :). I would love to smell the garlic though it sounds like it would make you hungry all the time. Burley those Garlic Fries sound incredible  .