Sign in to follow this  
tipptruck1

Thnking about buying a house over a boat.

I know you guys have given me advice on boats in the past. But I have been thinking really hard the last few months about home ownership. As it sits right now iam a 22 year old that has a semister left of school, and Iam trying to find a job in the autobody field. If and when I get that job I will have no problem paying bills on top of a house payment. Theres just some little guy on my shoulder telling me to buy a house and screw the boat. I think its becasue I know I can live in a house not a boat. So I jsut need to talk to grandma and grandpa some time about me buying the house. buy the way I will own a house by 30. I don't care if its there house or not.

If you want to buy a house now is  the best time to do it. I have never heard of a bass boat that increases in value.

If you are single, find a roomate charge him/her rent and put that money towards the monthly payment on a new boat  ;D

If you want to buy a house now is the best time to do it. I have never heard of a bass boat that increases in value.

If you are single, find a roomate charge him/her rent and put that money towards the monthly payment on a new boat ;D

better yet take that monthy payment and put it on your principle and own that house by time your 35 ;D

I never thought of renting out a room or two. It is a 3 bedroom 3 bath. Rent out the two bedrooms and theres the house payment. And I get most of my paycheck. I also know the this is the time to buy. I would like to buy it. but the grandparents are still alive, and living in it. So it might be a little hard to do some things to it while there still living in it.

But don't "count" on the rent payments... buy a house you can easily afford, even in hard times.  That way the house is a blessing.  Buy too much and the house owns you in more ways than one!  

(are you a fan of Dave Ramsey?  he has some great guidelines for buying a home)

Well I have never heard of Dave Ramsey. Heres the thing about the house. Iam really do not want to say hey grandma how munch is your house worth. Iam guessing about 190,000-250,000.  I have two other brothers so I know when they die the house profit will be split in thirds. I was talking to my friends about this place. They all think that if I get serious about this they will cut 1/3 off my price. But one of my friends thinks they will just give me the house. He thinks that becasue iam here helping them and living with them. I don't see that happening. When my dad died they wanted every thing. I just wanted his tools and his stereo.  

But don't "count" on the rent payments... buy a house you can easily afford, even in hard times. That way the house is a blessing. Buy too much and the house owns you in more ways than one!

(are you a fan of Dave Ramsey? he has some great guidelines for buying a home)

BINGO  ;)

But don't "count" on the rent payments... buy a house you can easily afford, even in hard times. That way the house is a blessing. Buy too much and the house owns you in more ways than one!

(are you a fan of Dave Ramsey? he has some great guidelines for buying a home)

Definatly take the time to check out Dave Ramsey.  He has a show on the Fox Business Network.  He has also written a couple of books.

Buy the house before the boat.

Dave says:  "Live like no one else so later you can live like no one else."

Dave is also on about 350 radio stations across the country and you can download most of his show via the web site.

back on topic...

Tipp,

If you already live there and they aren't leaving, why buy it now?  Why not wait until they either leave, move or in time, pass away.  You can still buy out your 2 brothers at that point.  In the mean time, you will have a chance to get your career established, build an emergency fund and start saving money for the house, boat, etc.  At this point, piling up cash in the bank may be your best option.  (after you fully fund a Roth IRA)

Just owning a home isn't always the best option.  As a few hundred thousand foreclosures can and will attest to.  

back off topic...

You might look into "Financial Peace University" in your area... it's a 13 week class (usually one evening per week) that will teach you how to handle money throughout your life.  The basic principals will allow anyone, regardless of career choice, to control their financial future.  

If interested, enter your zip code from this link and see what's close to you.

http://www.daveramsey.com/fpu/home/

Ramsey Rules and buying is not always the best option in certain markets.  

I know you guys have given me advice on boats in the past. But I have been thinking really hard the last few months about home ownership. As it sits right now iam a 22 year old that has a semister left of school, and Iam trying to find a job in the autobody field. If and when I get that job I will have no problem paying bills on top of a house payment. Theres just some little guy on my shoulder telling me to buy a house and screw the boat. I think its becasue I know I can live in a house not a boat. So I jsut need to talk to grandma and grandpa some time about me buying the house. buy the way I will own a house by 30. I don't care if its there house or not.

Get your job first.

Screw the boat.

Buy a house.