Sign in to follow this  
Fisher of Men

Best SUV tire under $150 (I bought mine today)

Hey guys,

I own a two-wheel-drive 2004 Chevy Tahoe (it replaced our 12 year old Suburban) and would like to put some new tires on it before embarking on a vacation with the family in a few weeks. The wheels are 17". We won't be going off-road much, so I would like to have a set that rides very smooth, handles good on wet pavement, etc. I've always heard that Michelen's are very smooth riding, but I've never owned a set. I would like to spend less than $150 a piece if possible. Any advice from you guys would be awesome (particularly if you are in the tire business).

Thanks,

Fisher

<><

I used to work at Discount Tire although, i only worked there for 2 months. I was there long enough to see tires come in with various problems and i have to say of the two months i was there i had seen twice as many people come in and change their Goodyear tires than any other kind. One of our Coordinators called them Good for one years  :P. I would stick with BFG or Michelen, i have never really heard anything bad about Continental either. Here is a link to give you some ideas at some price points from 150$ and lower, hope it helps.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/filterTireProducts.do?vid=007700&yr=2004&rc=TFWINT&cs=265&ar=70&rd=16&c=1&sw=false&rf=true&cf=false&dVeh=dVeh&fclr=&fcsr=&fcpr=&fcs=false&ct=null&fcb=&pager.offset=10

I only buy BFG Long Trail T/As.  They are less expensive than comparable Michelins, with temperature and traction ratings that are as good, and treadwear ratings that are better.  

BFG tires are amopng them best available, and represent great value.  

I only buy BFG Long Trail T/As.  They are less expensive than comparable Michelins, with temperature and traction ratings that are as good, and treadwear ratings that are better.  

BFG tires are amopng them best available, and represent great value.  

X2

i used to have the AT's on my old toyota...they were great and my wifes car has BFG's on it too...cant go wrong with BFG!!

Goodyear Wranglers!  Hands down one of the best tires I have ever put on a SUV or truck!

I put 75,000 on the last set, and the only reason I replaced them is I put a hole in the sidewall of one,, decided to get 4 new ones all matched in tread.

Sure they're 17"?  Are the wheels factory?  04 Tahoe 2WD came with 16" wheels.

If they are 17", good luck finding a 'quality' tire for less than $150.  There are 17" tires available for less, but in the long run a cheaper tire will cost you more $$$.

Sure they're 17"? Are the wheels factory? 04 Tahoe 2WD came with 16" wheels.

If they are 17", good luck finding a 'quality' tire for less than $150. There are 17" tires available for less, but in the long run a cheaper tire will cost you more $$$.

Yes, Burley, they are P265/70R17's. The wheels are upgraded factories according to the window sticker.  OK, let's up the aunty to, say,  $175  :'(

One quality that I want most is a smooth ride and good treadwear.  Like I said before, we'll probably not go off-road much at all.  Thanks for the replies so far, guys!

I've purchased Michelins at Sam's Club for that money on my last 2 suburbans.  Good price and service in every metro when traveling.

If they are 17", good luck finding a 'quality' tire for less than $150. There are 17" tires available for less, but in the long run a cheaper tire will cost you more $$$.

Yes, Burley, they are P265/70R17's. The wheels are upgraded factories according to the window sticker. OK, let's up the aunty to, say, $175 :'(

One quality that I want most is a smooth ride and good treadwear. Like I said before, we'll probably not go off-road much at all. Thanks for the replies so far, guys!

I work for Ampac Tire Distribution, Inc. warehouse in St. Peters, MO. I can tell you right now, that while BF Goodrich tires are an excellent choice, at a budget of $175 a tire and at the tire size P265/70R17, there is no way you will be able to afford them. Pretty much all the BFG tires in that size will run you at or above $200.00 a tire. BFG Long Trail T/As may be close, but I believe they are inferior to my suggestion below. Michelins, also a good tire, are at least as expensive, if not more than the BFGs.

My suggestion to you is to purchase a set of Firestone Destination LEs. They do make those tires in your vehicles size, they are a smooth handling and riding tire, and do excellent in wet and dry conditions. They have a 60,000 mile tread warranty. We sell them wholesale for around $115.00 a pop. However, purchasing from your run of the mill tire joint, you'll probably pay about $150.00 to $175.00. Don't forget to factor in costs for valve stems, mounting/balancing, and used tire disposal. I have been working the the warehouse for a year now, and have yet to see any of these tires come back from any of our retail stores or wholesale customers with a problem. The warehouse manager and the assistant warehouse manager roll on them and have no complaints.

Here is a link to a webpage with the specifications for those tires:

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/SizeSpecs_BS_EN.aspx?Product_ID=1074

Also, there is about to be a nationwide increase in the price of tires by about 10% to 12%. The price increase is coming from EVERY major tire manufacturer. They are all rainsing their prices due to the expense of the petroleum based products they need to manufacture their tires. It takes place for our company tomorrow, but I am not sure if that will be the case everywhere. Just so ya know.

maybe check out, toyo open country at 50000 mile warranty, nice ride just purchased 4 265/70/r17   for $650 out the door very happy with them  

for a 2002 gmc sierra 4 wheel drive

I wouldn't touch a Firestone tire on a bet.  I had some of the ATX tires on my Explorer that came apart before the ***** hit the fan.  Firestone told me every-whichway-to-Sunday that I was causing the tread to bubble up.  Only months later when it hit the news and people strarted dying did they offer to replace the tires on my truck, but still refused to replace the spare.  

I wouldn't touch a Firestone tire on a bet. I had some of the ATX tires on my Explorer that came apart before the crap hit the fan. Firestone told me every-whichway-to-Sunday that I was causing the tread to bubble up. Only months later when it hit the news and people strarted dying did they offer to replace the tires on my truck, but still refused to replace the spare.

Those problems are far gone and away. Firestone got a bad rap that was deserved at the time, but is no longer applicable to the brand. Also, the problem revolved around two factors: Firestone ATX, ATX2 and Wilderness AT tires in sizes p235/75R15 and the Ford Explorer. The ATXs are no longer in production as far as I know. We don't carry any at least, don't know about anyone else. Almost every known instance involved those tires being mounted on a Ford Explorer.

For the qualities in the tires he wants as well as the budget he says he is willing to spend, the Destination is, by far, the best tire for the job. Those particular tires are actually some of our best sellers and as I stated before, in the year I have worked in the warehouse, I have never seen a Destination come back in the warehouse with ANY problems. :)

Yes, Burley, they are P265/70R17's. The wheels are upgraded factories according to the window sticker. OK, let's up the aunty to, say, $175 :'(

One quality that I want most is a smooth ride and good treadwear. Like I said before, we'll probably not go off-road much at all. Thanks for the replies so far, guys!

Also, there is about to be a nationwide increase in the price of tires by about 10% to 12%. The price increase is coming from EVERY major tire manufacturer. They are all rainsing their prices due to the expense of the petroleum based products they need to manufacture their tires. It takes place for our company tomorrow, but I am not sure if that will be the case everywhere. Just so ya know.

Yes, I've heard that about the price increase.  I've even been told they might go up from one day to the next.  I'm leaning toward the Goodyear Fortera.  It really sounds like it has the qualities I'm looking for.   I'm going to check within the next couple of days on getting some.  If I can walk out for under $800 mounted and balanced, I think I'll be OK with it.  Having a sound warranty and rated at 70,000 miles, I think it will be worth it.  Thanks guys for all your help!  I'll chime back in and let you know how they roll.

-Fisher

OK, now I'm second guessing myself. I've called around locally and can't get a Fortera in my size without driving to the Metroplex (about 45 minutes). I also scrolled down the page that RW gave me and read some dissapointing reviews on the tire. I haven't had good luck with tires in quite a few years, so I'm trying to be really picky and not being cheap about it. Now I'm getting frustrated.

Have you looked at Kumho's?  I used to have them on my Chevelle and I really liked them.  MY friend runs them on his Silverado racing truck and my mom has them on her Rendevous, they both have happy with them.

I have heard they had similar tread to some Goodyears but are much cheaper.

FOM,  I have a Tahoe and just put another set of Bridgestone's on it about a month ago. They were right at $150 each. They've been really good tires and they'll last a long, long time.

Those problems are far gone and away. Firestone got a bad rap that was deserved at the time, but is no longer applicable to the brand. Also, the problem revolved around two factors: Firestone ATX, ATX2 and Wilderness AT tires in sizes p235/75R15 and the Ford Explorer. The ATXs are no longer in production as far as I know. We don't carry any at least, don't know about anyone else. Almost every known instance involved those tires being mounted on a Ford Explorer.

Firestone ATX may be no more.  Firestone may have corrected every deficiency they ever had.  They may be the perfect company now turning out the perfect product.  But "they dun me wrong."  So it's OK that I hate them forever.  I know it's OK.  Ask Roadwarrior.  

Firestone ATX may be no more. Firestone may have corrected every deficiency they ever had. They may be the perfect company now turning out the perfect product. But "they dun me wrong." So it's OK that I hate them forever. I know it's OK. Ask Roadwarrior.

;D I can understand that. What they did to you was horrid customer service. After getting burned like you did, I wouldn't give the company that did it my business either.

Fisher, it is probably better that you can't find any "Good-for-a-years" close to you anyway. We don't even carry the brand anymore, but when we did, we got a lot back with varying issues. Bubbling, bad treadwear, tread seperation, etc. You name it, a Goodyear tire probably came back with it.

I still say the best bang for your buck, with all the qualities you have asked for is the Firestone Destination Le. FBL's suggestion of Brdigestone is not a bad one either. You would probably find what you are looking for in the Dueler line of tires. In my experience though, Duelers USUALLY cost more than Destinations. Hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck.

I'm with Micro for any company that "dun me wrong!"

Back to the Goodyear Fortera...I'll say again, I have been very happy with the tire. I have the service package which includes balancing and rotation. The performance has been outstanding, the ride is quiet & smooth and after 25,000 miles, they still look new!

8-)

Yes, Bridgestone Duelers is what I have on my Tahoe. Great tires.

Well guys,

The tire search is over now. I purchased some Michelen XC LT4 tires today at Sears for the Tahoe:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_09579369000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Tires&sName=All+Tires

They were about $30 more per tire than I orginally anticipated, but still $20 cheaper than the LTX M/S's. These are supposedly manufactured for Sears by Michelen and are essentially the same tire. On the forty mile ride home, the ride was very smooth and responsive. All aspects of the tire seem great!! One of the sales staff claimed he had gotten 80,000 miles out of his set (highway miles). Time will tell on the mileage that I get, but I'm VERY encouraged.

I just wanted to thank everyone once again for all your input! Regardless of your opinions, you challenged me to look long and hard before making an $800 investment.

God bless,

Fisher

Michelins are probably the best but also the priciest.

My 30 years worth of truck owning experience.

Best:

Firestone - Great wear.  Even. No delaminating nor belt seperation.  Even handling in all road conditions.

BFG - Pretty good tire.  Not completely happy with the overall handling, especially in the wet.  Seemed a little uncertain on some wet roads.  Great wear.

Dayton - The Timberline series is the best tire I've ever owned.  Superb wear and handling.

Uniroyal - Currently on my truck.  Pretty good tire.  A touch noisy.

The worst:

Goodyear - They can't build a decent tire for NASCAR and Firestone ran them out of open wheel racing.  Is it any wonder their tires suck?

General - Run as far away from this brand as possible.

Continental - It's funny, when the Firestone ATX debacle was happening, they were replacing them with Continentals, a tire with a worst tread seperation record than any other out there.   :o

BFGs! Buy them from Discount Tire co. and get the warranty. BFGs are the best you can get! I'd reccomend All-Terrains but they're a little bit out of your range! They probally make some other kind.

-Ike