Sign in to follow this  
BassChump

Fishing elbow???

I'm just curious. I'm fishing a lot lately and I have a case of "fishing elbow". Kind of like tennis elbow but mine is obviously from casting. Nothing serious and certainly not painful enough to keep me off the water.

Just wondering if this is a common problem or am I unique?

::)

I have been dealing with it all this year, fishing through it. I will get it attended to during the hard water season! :-/

You should get one of the elbow straps now before you can't even hold a fishing rod without pain. If it gets bad enough, a cortisone shot will help for a while but that's not a cure for it. The shot will wear off in time and you'll be in pain again. The elbow strap will help you big time.

Icing it down when I get home and 800mg of Ibuprorhen have been doing the trick 8-)

HEY FBL: Elbow Strap< , NAME? LINK?'

Thanks for the tip, need a bit more info

I have not had it while casting, but there have been times when setting the hook with my spinning rig, that I get a sharp pain in my right elbow.  I have always thought it was from years of pitching in baseball, but it only happens once in a while.

Simple solution- fish more soft plastics...  "fishing elbow" is a crank and spinnerbait induced condition!  :D

I have not had it while casting, but there have been times when setting the hook with my spinning rig, that I get a sharp pain in my right elbow. I have always thought it was from years of pitching in baseball, but it only happens once in a while.

I have some arthritis and some damage done from years of drumming, it is the arm I played the ride cymbal with. I can hear my teacher now saying: MORE WRIST you are gonna destroy your elbow playing like that! ::)

Simple solution- fish more soft plastics... "fishing elbow" is a crank and spinnerbait induced condition! :D

I fish plastics and d**n it hurts on a hard hook set. No pain no gain I guess, I'll fish through it. >:(

Here ya go

http://www.hydas.com/product.aspx?article=1509

If you are having the beginnings of this pain, GET ONE OF THESE IMMEDIATELY

I have had zero pain this year but I wore it for most of the beginning of the season to make sure I did not stress those tendons after they had been dormant for the winter.

No Pain.

Now I have been throwing only wake baits and that doesn't stress those tendons at all so I'm clear.

The tendinitis wraps are very cheap, like $7-$12 for a basic one and it won't do damage if you wear it and do not have tendinitis.

Sure sounds like you do though, I mean,.....I'm no doctor but,.......I DID stay at a Holiday Inn last night....:)

Here ya go

http://www.hydas.com/product.aspx?article=1509

If you are having the beginnings of this pain, GET ONE OF THESE IMMEDIATELY

I have had zero pain this year but I wore it for most of the beginning of the season to make sure I did not stress those tendons after they had been dormant for the winter.

No Pain.

Now I have been throwing only wake baits and that doesn't stress those tendons at all so I'm clear.

The tendinitis wraps are very cheap, like $7-$12 for a basic one and it won't do damage if you wear it and do not have tendinitis.

Sure sounds like you do though, I mean,.....I'm no doctor but,.......I DID stay at a Holiday Inn last night....:)[/quote]

I din't know Gidget's friend was a Doctor

I've bought 5 or 6 different straps and the best one I've found is actually a knee strap. I like it because it's thin, the velcro holds tight and it has a hard piece of foam in it and it always stays in place. I buy them at Wal Mart for about $7 bucks in the sporting goods section. It will say KNEE STRAP on the pkg., the strap itself is black and I believe its made by Athletic Works.

Thanks, Maltese PM'd me about the one with the gel/air baldder in it also. Off to Wally World tommorow!

You guys are going to be amazed,....a simple pressure point and the pain is gone.  It is still there, don't forget,...you ARE injured, but you'll be on the way to getting better, not worse seeing as how we are only about 1/2 way through the season.

Not to mention,...pain free fishing ;)

Now,...Muddy, as for the naseua and dizziness you are experiencing,.....get your foot of the trolling motor!!! ;D

You should get one of the elbow straps now before you can't even hold a fishing rod without pain. If it gets bad enough, a cortisone shot will help for a while but that's not a cure for it. The shot will wear off in time and you'll be in pain again. The elbow strap will help you big time.

Good advice. I took 5BL's advice and bought a 'knee' strap at Walmart and it helps, alot.  The knee strap is good if you have big forearms.

I've had that a couple of times from using spinning gear and catching lots of bass. I just let my arm rest by using the other arm for casting and retrieving. It was OK after a couple of months. I realized it was an injury and chose not to injure it any more by continuing to do the same thing and using meds or support to hide the symptoms. Once healed, there are dedicated exercises to help prevent the injury from happening again. Of couse I didn't know about that until it happened the second time. Having balanced tackle helps to by lessening the stress put on your muscles and tendons.

I've had that a couple of times from using spinning gear and catching lots of bass. I just let my arm rest by using the other arm for casting and retrieving. It was OK after a couple of months. I realized it was an injury and chose not to injure it any more by continuing to do the same thing and using meds or support to hide the symptoms. Once healed, there are dedicated exercises to help prevent the injury from happening again. Of couse I didn't know about that until it happened the second time. Having balanced tackle helps to by lessening the stress put on your muscles and tendons.

If catching "Lots of Bass" is a requirment I will not be needing it.

At the start of this year my first injury was a sore wrist, after that was gone, it was the elbow.  But now everything is fine after a month

I had this very badly about two years ago.  It was extremely painful.  I had a procedure done using ultra sound.  The theory is that by inflaming the tendon via the ultra sound, the body sends more blood to the tendon.  It was not covered by insurance who considered it experimental.  However it did work.  

Keep in mind though that I had other surgeries performed that year and the next so my fishing time was cut dramatically.  but the combination of extended rest and the ultrasound therapy did reduce the pain alot.  I get "early warning" signals and unlike before, I listen when my body talks.  good luck

Yes, I had it last year.

Rest cures it.  :)