Sign in to follow this  
BassinWill301

Snake Identification

Today while I was fishing on the golf course pond behind my house. I was walking down the cart path towards the other end of the pond and there was this snake that I thought was dead laying on the pavement. Then it started to move. It was badly injured and did not bite when I touched its nose with my rod tip, he just coiled up a little bit. The end of his tail was missing and he had an injury on his body. Mabye he was dropped from a bird or hit by a golf cart I do not know. So i got some pictures because i didnt know what type of snake it was. When i came back it was gone so no body.

I live in St. Marys County Maryland if that helps.

Pic 1

DSCN5030.jpg

DSCN5033.jpg

DSCN5035.jpg

DSCN5034.jpg

looks like a rattle snake w/o a tail. :-?

Ok there is one type of rattlesnake in maryland the timber rattlesnake I believe, but I did not think it could be that.  I just thought the head looked a little different then a watersnake but I dont know anything about them.  I wish it was something cooler than a watersnake though.

The easiest way I have found to identify a snake is, if I see one I go the other way and let them go on there merry way.  This way it lumps them all into one catergory and I don't have to worry if I misidentifed it.   Thats how I have learned how to identify them.

I believe what you have there is a corn snake. The head threw me off at first, as it resembles the classic venomous snake head, but if you look at the eyes, you will see that they are elliptical, and not slitted like a copperhead's would be.

Nerodia Sipedon - Northern Watersnake.   Harmless - especially that one.

Cool thanks guys for the responses.  So 2 for watersnake, one for corn snake, and one for rattle.

Yep, it does appear that it is a northern watersnake.

i change my answer to watersnake, i forgot to look at the eyes

That looks like a copperhead to me. Ready to molt his skin hence the dusty/dull looking colors and color of his eyes.

The eyes do have a milky appearance, but I would go with Micro's response, he is a "snake guy."