Sign in to follow this  
jdw174

Anyone here tried "Google Chrome" as a browser?

I thought I'd give it a shot, so yesterday I downloaded it and tried it out.  It's fast....maybe faster than Firefox.  It worked rather well and I was considering using it as my main browser until.........

After installation and using it for a bit, I decided to see if it brought any unwanted goodies with it, so I ran SpyBot and found my computer loaded with spyware :o .  Thinking maybe it was just in the initial setup, I cleaned out the bad stuff and ran it again but just on a couple of sites that I frequent regularly (this site being one of them).  I closed it, then ran Spybot again and I was once again LOADED with spyware.  Needless to say, it's now gone from the HD.

I occasionally have the same problem with Firefox, but nothing like Chrome. 

1st I know very little about computers.

Doesnt your anti-virus/internet security protection stop this spyware? I use chrome and my protection is KasperskyIS 2011. I had my Kas protection run a full computer scan(viruses,Trojans,spyware,worms all othe threats) and all is fine.

Will that Spybot find something my Kaspersky wont?

Quake, there is no anti-virus which catches everything. Just because you have an AV running and it is not reporting anything does not mean you are not infected. For different malware security companies will run the files against a group of AV's, upwards of 20 different one's. A lot of them will only get caught by 3 or 4.

I thought I'd give it a shot, so yesterday I downloaded it and tried it out. It's fast....maybe faster than Firefox. It worked rather well and I was considering using it as my main browser until.........

After installation and using it for a bit, I decided to see if it brought any unwanted goodies with it, so I ran SpyBot and found my computer loaded with spyware :o . Thinking maybe it was just in the initial setup, I cleaned out the bad stuff and ran it again but just on a couple of sites that I frequent regularly (this site being one of them). I closed it, then ran Spybot again and I was once again LOADED with spyware. Needless to say, it's now gone from the HD.

I occasionally have the same problem with Firefox, but nothing like Chrome.

It is very possible Spybot was picking up tracking cookies not necessarily spyware/adware.

i like chrome, im on it right now and it hasnt caused any harm to my computer

i like chrome, im on it right now and it hasnt caused any harm to my computer

same here

I think CFFF 1.5 is correct, Chrome is not going to put malware on your system but some default things may show up as tracking cookies. Google makes a ton of money on advertising, if they can track you and give directed ads it makes them more.

I use it and haven't noticed any problems. I actually find it to be the best I have used yet.

Chrome is all I use now. I was a long time FF user, but Chrome is much faster and more stable for me. I also like the Chrome to Phone feature with Android... I can send a website I am on right to my phone and continue browsing from there.

Like many others, Chrome is all I use. Never have had any problems.

Haven't tried Chrome. Have tried Mozilla and Opera. Recently, I was helping our daughter with a project which involved making voting lists for the Pepsi Refresh competition. I would make a "string" of ten names, which when clicked on would open a page with the ten contestants on that page.

Firefox would get bogged down when I would proof the string. IE opened each page in a blink. Mozilla was also slower on other processes.

Our daughter ran into the same thing with the Mozilla Firefox browser. She suggested Apple Safari. I'm not used to it, but it seems nicer for selecting favorites. It is similar to Opera. Here's a screenshot of safari.

Really nice on a 23" monitor.

safariscreen.jpg