Sign in to follow this  
CK14

puget sound squid!

got these squid the last couple nights. it's been pretty slow but it picked up some tonight....

post-5417-130162968954_thumb.jpg

you jig for em with these. most people go down to the many piers along the puget sound and jig for em straight off the peir.

Ever had Fried Calamari. ;)

yup! cut em up into strips or rings, batter em up, and throw em in the fryer!

most of them are about 10" with the biggest about 13". they get a lot bigger down in california and australia.....

going out again in the morning, good high tide. more from tonight  :D.......

post-5417-130162968969_thumb.jpg

no, they don't really fight, don't think they really can. they kinda feel like a weed that squirts ink 8-). you can feel them squirting ink on the way up though.

and yeah, they taste like an old shoe if they get cooked to long. i only fry em for about 45 seconds, depending on the thickness.

do you ever just catch em and use them as bait?

yeah, i've used them for bait before, work good for surf and striped perch. i've also seen someone use a whole squid (dead) and catch a lingcod...

Squid Jiggin'!  Woo Hoo!  That can be fun (and messy) when you get into a bunch of them.  :)

what peir do you fish glenn? i fish edmonds, but i have gone to seacrest a couple times this year.

Those are some nice looking squid.  Good eating, and good bait. I've been a few times over here in Newport,RI. You have to come early and fight to get a spot on the small bridge we jig off of. Seriously you stand shoulder to shoulder, with mostly thai, cambadian, and alot of none eglish speaking folks, entire families grandma to 4yr olds. We usually go at night and hang a camping lantern over the side and lower it down on a clothes line. The squid are attracted to the light. It's pretty cool you hook into one and as your bringing him up he's squirting ink all over the place. Inabout 2 hrs you can fill a five gallon bucket. Squid usually run May and June here. It's alot of fun.

Oh yeah fogot to add. I've also seen them on night dives. I'll be down there with my light and ocationally one of the ghostly looking squid will come up to the light. One time me and my partner (dive partner) came upon a school of them. Freaky thats all im gonna say, it was an awesome sight.

what peir do you fish glenn? i fish edmonds, but i have gone to seacrest a couple times this year.

I did it for a few times down at the Edmonds pier.  The last time was about 12 years ago.

Those are some wicked looking squid. How do you catch a squid? I honestly don't have a clue.

I wondered that too. Did some research- ended up with this.

(excerpt from report 4 school)

Although squid fight well, most fishermen have the tackle to squidfish stashed away in their closet! The lures, however, are 2-4 inch thin, straight jigs which sport umbrella style hooks. Hooking a sardine works well. For prime fishing, most fishermen wait for a cloudy, drizzly night to nab a squid, as squid hate light. Fortunately for shore fishermen, boats are not necessary, piers are better locations. But squid are not undefeatable, because most squid assassins return with enough for dinner.