Sign in to follow this  
mjhutch1116

Sun piranha

There has been some fish caught in the juniata river which I live near that can only be described as a cross between sunfish and piranha.  They have yellow bellies, with gray bodies with black markings, and 2 fang like teeth.  The fish are real, I have spoken to the local fish commission offical and he verifies the existance of these fish but cannot verify species as of yet.  Has anyone else seen any of these fish anywhere else?  Or might have a theory as to where they came from.

Matt

Dang !! That doesn't sound like anything I'd wanna "lip" for sure  :o!! It does sound like some crossbreeding or something going on... I sure hope not !!

I haven't heard anything lately, I didn't think that piranha and sunfish could mix, but you never know until you check.  The only other thing that I forgot to mention is that they like to stay in deep holes, every one that has been reported caught in the past 2 years has been out of very deep holes.  (there was 2or 3 more caught in lewistown area last year)  I hope to hear something from someone real soon.  Thanks for the information and the input. Keep it comming.  Hey tux the way it sounds these fish would just bite thru your ultralight line and equipment ;D

Matt

Well you try out yours first and let me know how it goes ?? That way I know whether to bring the bow instead  ;D.. We have to get together and do some panfishing one weekend, when time allows it...

Hey if you catch one of those toothy bream take a pic... I'd be REAL interested in seeing one of them ..

That is DEFINITELY not a good thing !! :o  The next thing is what's the plan for getting rid of them ??

YIKES! I fished the Juniata near Mifflintown a few weeks ago! I would have been more careful if I had known there were piranha!

I am glad to hear that it was identified, now the question is where did it come from and how many of them are there?  Then what is being done to get rid of them.  I wade in that river the last thing I need is to become a piranha's dinner.  Hey, Cap. I don't know of any pics do you?  It might be fun to catch one of those things just to be able to say that you did.  Maybe some of us should get togther and try to catch some of them the majority of them that I have heard about is right in cotters hole.  What do you say Tux want to give them a shot?

Matt

Sounds like a good idea Hutch. We should do that but uh where is cotters hole. I have only lived here for three and a half years so I don't know that much about the river because me and my buddy generally fish the tuscarora. Also , sorry no I don't know of any pictures of the ones that were caught out of the river but I would sure like to see one of them. We should go a weekend and fish for a while for piranha then fish for some bass while then when it gets dark we can fish for some kittyfishes.

The captain

Hey yall I found some pics.

try visiting this site.

www.fishingfury.com/categories/world/ukraine/

I found avideo but i can't figure out how to get that on here either and I don't know what the address is either because I googled it.And uh hey Hutch if I were you I would keep my shoes on and fingers out of the water when you wade in the river from now on. Have fun and catch the big one.

The captain

I am glad to hear that it was identified, now the question is where did it come from and how many of them are there? Then what is being done to get rid of them. I wade in that river the last thing I need is to become a piranha's dinner. Hey, Cap. I don't know of any pics do you? It might be fun to catch one of those things just to be able to say that you did. Maybe some of us should get togther and try to catch some of them the majority of them that I have heard about is right in cotters hole. What do you say Tux want to give them a shot?

Matt

Sure I'd be willing to give them a shot ... I'll be having a pair of hip or waist waders on just to be safe..

I don't need anything nipped that I might need later  ;D!!

I'll be doing honeydo's this saturday, but sunday should be good, for a few hours...

Otherwise we can try for another weekend .. Let a body know ??

Hey hutch, I don't know if you get the Juniata sentinel but if you don't pick one up and check this out. It is on the second page of the sports section. Some guy caught 2 piranha, he kept the smaller one and threw the big one back-- Why I don't really know unless he was scared of the biggin ;)he he he. Oh yeah its in todays Juniata Sentinel (July 11) Check it out it is scary but true as far as I know. Actually I'll just put the article on here so that yall don't have to buy the paper just to see this.It says "though shown after being in his mothers freezer for a week or so, this red belly piranha(theres a pic in the paper) was caught on a worm byRichard HeckJr. while fishing at the mifflintown access to the Juniata River on Memorial Day evening. The Piranha which measures about nine inches long was the first of two Heck caught on the day. He threw the second, and bigger one, back into the riverbefore he realized what he might have. The next day, someone from Van Dyke Research station told him it was a piranha and Heck was told that there are ten to 15 cases a year of people catching piranha in the area. At leats one other case of a fisherman hauling in a piranha has already been noted in the county, so anyone else who reels in this red bellied fish shoud wait until they're sure it's dead before trying to remove their tackle." But I would wait until its dead and then throw it away so that it doesn't come back when you throw it into the water if you catch any.

We get the juniata sentinel every week I will check the article out thanks for the info.  This weekend is no good for me leaving for the shore on sun. morning.  Will let you know for next week.  I have your cell # now tux, so getting in touch with you will be easy now.  Thanks for the information cap.  Look forward to fishing with you sometime real soon.

Matt

Nice work on the research captain! ;) If yall want to get together sometime, give me a buzz, i'd be a willin to go after the toothy little things. Just don't lip 'em :'(, and you'll be fine. Hey hutch and tux, can't wait to do some more fishing with yall.

Hey Tux, they got a picture in the paper but I can't get it onto this website because I don't know how so if you wanna see it you'll have to look at the paper. How do you get them dang pictures on here, I can't figure that one out.Have fun and catch the biggin. See yall.

P.S. I am looking forward to fishin with ya some time.

I tried looking up the juniata sentinel online and found something of the sort but it had no pics of it, only of local baseball teams  :(.. I guess I'll have to Matt, or Basser to help a body out..

Looking forward to wetting a line with you as well...

I also tried looking online but couldn't find the right thing, the only thing I can figure is that their budget isn't big enough or they aren't smart enough to make a website I mean come on they are just a bunch of hicks from Juniata county ;D. Oh well I am goin to bed its only 11:20. Have fun and catch the biggin!!!

Hope you slept well Capt.,

It's funny, I thought all the sentinel papers were linked together, but apparently not..

I'll just have to wait and see one or do a search for them...

Have a great weekend !!