Sign in to follow this  
MN Basser

Musky Lures

What is your favorite Musky lure? I'm trying to really go after muskie this coming summer, last year I had a muskie follow on a terrian bass jig and my heart almost leaped outta my chest. Also, could you tell me what other baits you use that are good? Thank you.

Based on catches recorded by musky clubs in Wisconsin, the most productive method was trolling In-line Bucktail Spinners.

oddly enough, the most popular color combination was and continues to be the Halloween duo: Orange & Black.

Also popular are jerkbaits like the "Suick Thriller" but working a suick all day long is an awful lot of work (add weights for best action)

http://www.suick.com/photos.htm

Crankbaits like the "Grandma Lure" are very good in fall (For better coverage you would troll the Grandma)

http://www.whitecapstackleco.com/crankbait6.html

If you can possibly swing it, planning a "fall" trip will improve your chances exponentially.

During summer the muskies in most lakes are on a ciscoe or whitefish diet and very deep (muskies are almost a cold-water fish).

Roger

We fish many northern MI, WI lakes and have the most luck with Bucktails. Have had some luck with Suick and Top Raiders, but most of our big fish have been taken on Bucktails (black/silver or orange blade and perch colors). Funny thing is I have also caugth my two biggest smallmouth on the black/silver combo in Canada while fishing for big pike. Both were between 22" and 23".

Here are some I've Had success with:

1- Bucktails

2- Large spinnerbaits

3- Magnum Zara Spook

4- Joe Bucher Shallow Raiders

5- Believers

6- X-Rap Jointed Shad

7- Super Shad Rap

8- Large spoons

9- Top Raider surface bait

Falcon

I HATE to say this, but when I went Musky fishing in WI, the in-line spinners worked the best.  I used the Maribou brand (spelling might be off) in black, orange and yellow.  I think it was a 10" model.  

Some guys swear by Suicks and Bulldawgs.  I've never caught anything on them but it would be a whole lot more fun than catching them on in-line spinners.  Suicks are sometimes hard to tune so use at your own risk.  

Cheers!

I just bout a big 'Strike Pro' lure with the live action. I also bought acouple small bulldawgs, the big bass size but I herd about good musky luck with it.