Sign in to follow this  
thetr20one

Tourney nightmare

65 TEAMS

2 limits  9.25-9.09

1 team had 3 for 5.97

5teams had 2 for 6.05-4.45-3.29-3.19-2.30

11 other teams had 1 fish 3.55-3.01-2.99-2.86-2.81-2.45-2.32-2.09-2.07-1.66-1.56

Yeah it was a bad day for many including me! When we arrived at our first spot it was calm not more than ten minutes later a heavy east wind started blowing and didnt stop. water temp was 42 main lake but we found 49 later in the day in the coves. we fished rip rap, heavy blowdowns, brush you name it we fished it. I think we needed tho have this one next week!!!!  

My only problem is this is the first time gettin skunked in like 4 years. I was the earliest I have fished in like 4 years too. If it stays warm this lake will be awesome in the next week or so. I have fished it more times than i can remember. Musta lost my mojo. Ilive 10 minutes from our next tourneys launch so I am not so worried about the next one. It can be tough in the spring too!!! I will have alot more practice by then. OOPs forgot Aba tourney on the 26th.

lol yeah i know what you mean. i get skunked all the time in the winter. especially if its a new body of water or a bigger lake.  good luck with all your tournies my first isnt until the 26th.  but its on the potomac, so i can't wait lol

Don't fret.

Down here in Virginia we had our TBF Mr. Bass tournament pitting the top two fishermen in each club against each other.

Fishing was a disaster. Windy all day long and it rained.

I did not fish it but my friend caught one keeper (15 inch limit) and he won big fish. I think he said he caught about 20 bass today but other than for the 7 and a half pounder all were under 15inches.

He got skunked yesterday.

The other guy in our club got skunked for the tournament.

I am sure you guys in Ohio and Penna will have some good fishing in August when the snow and ice melt. ;D

With water temps like that, it's hit and miss at best. The early spring tournaments are like that. You dominate one, then the next one you blank, then you do well the next week. I would've approached the tournament as if the fish were still in winter being that the water temps were just above 40. I dont know what your fish were doing but here in Va, the bass suspend a lot during the winter to spring transition.

Winter to prespawn transition is tough on me too. Its mostly a timing thing. You'll get 'em next time.

"I am sure you guys in Ohio and Penna will have some good fishing in August when the snow and ice melt."  - Sam

Yeah it takes awhile, seems like it lasts until august anyway lol

That's why it's called fishing & not catching  ;)

tough day indeed but we didn't have a comfy launch.

My buddies and I dragged a canoe over a mile to a remote lake and caught 1 pickeral all day.

Better luck next time -- its been a cold windy spring

Well I got a late start this year and when we launched my boat that was the first time for the year. I felt better when I saw how many of the good guys I know blanked too. We just chalked it up to a nice day being out. I did catch two carp though and one was hooked in the back so I guess I did have some action. The one odd thing I did notice was the carp were in the shallows and the bass usually are there when they are but, I flipped my a-- off and came up with nothing. Oh well just another day. I know it happens

lol yeah i know what you mean. i get skunked all the time in the winter. especially if its a new body of water or a bigger lake. good luck with all your tournies my first isnt until the 26th. but its on the potomac, so i can't wait lol

I have never been to the potomc but my father and brother in law went there and had a awesome trip fishing for smallies. I think they fished fished the very upper portion. I think they were in drift boats. Good luck on the 26th. Is the are you are going to be fishing affected by the tide?

Yeah we'll be launching from mattawoman creek, thats in the tidal zone it just isnt affected as much as say the susquehanna flats.  Its going to be the PA Federation Nation tournament Mr. Bass. I've only fished there a couple times but everytime i have its been in the middle of summer, i can't wait to try april. But mattawoman is close to D.C. I do fish the upper portions of the potomac and they are astounding for smallmouth!

I hope you do well. I have never fished tidal waters so I wont even try to advise you. I am just reminded of a pic of I think Kelly Jordans boat sittin on land after the tide went out!!!