Sign in to follow this  
Matt Fly

BassChamps Lake Falcon results

201 teams launched today on Lake Falcon. 270.00 entry, 20,000 for first place.

Oldham and Buitron, 37.84, took top honors. Oldham Jigs!!!

10 sacks over 30 lbs

Big Bass 12.10 with a couple 10 also.

27 spots paid. Lots of bonus money to be won.

Great circuit sponsered by Skeeter and ran by Chad Potts.

4 divisons, and great sticks in every one of them. A game is requirred at all times.

Those sacks have been standard results since the rains came in late 2004.

Hookem.

Terry Oldham slays em on a jig now that's no surprise   ;)

And the BassChamps know how to take care of their fish even after the weigh-in.

That's a great sack of fish.

And the BassChamps know how to take care of their fish even after the weigh-in.

That's a great sack of fish.

As I mentioned previous, BC's is great trail run by super people.

Its not fair comparing a team trail that gets both livewells..

Mortality results for the BassChamps Falcon event.

A total of 2,696.86lbs/585 fish with a tournament average of 4.61lbs

were weighed in between 2:45p.m. and 4:30p.m. Surface water temps

were between 76F (early morning) and 78F (afternoon), with overcast skies.

At registration EVERY ANGLER was given an instruction sheet, C&R, measuring cup and 3% hydrogen peroxide was available for purchase (most anglers took advantage of the available peroxide). Tony gave anglers a quick verbal rundown of the instructions and answered questions. There were a few non-english speaking anglers from Mexico and the instructions were translated for them.

Anglers were given morning reminder sheets provided by BassChamps. There was a CONSERVATION BONUS-$500 drawing

in effect for all teams that did not weigh in fish. Anglers were instructed to release their fish if they were not in the points race,

or were not in the money. A Sure-Life employee announced the

the money line to anglers before they bagged their fish. A designated

fizzer was available for anglers that needed their fish needled before

release. They were instructed to release their fish out in the main lake.

Anglers were also instructed to use TWO WEIGH IN BAGS for their

catch. They were instructed to fill bags from LIVEWELLS ONLY, and not

the cove.

I was present at take-off and was VERY PLEASED to see a lot of ICE

and many anglers had coolers. Even the anglers from Mexico had plenty of ice! We implemented the Hannon weigh in system during the

event. My husband Tony was responsible for the 2,700gallon release

tank and I was responsible for the staging tanks. Everyone had their

tasks outlined for them. When anglers came to the staging tanks, I conducted a quick assesment and checked the temperature in their

weigh in bags. Part of my job was to assist anglers in exchanging the

water and in some cases assisting them to the bump boards. For the

most part anglers DID AN EXCELLENT JOB WITH FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS AND FISH CARE!!!! Tony assessed the fish when they

were brought to the release tank. They were fizzed if needed, wounds

were treated, hooks removed, etc. There were several experts assisting with fizzing at the release tank. If fish were deemed not likely

to survive release, they were pulled and put into a cooler. If it sounds

like a lot of work, IT WAS! But it was WELL WORTH THE EFFORT THAT

MANY PEOPLE PUT INTO IT, INCLUDING THE ANGLERS!

So how did we do?????? Seven fish were weighed in dead and penalties were assessed. Before release a total of 14 fish were put into

the cooler. NONE OF THE BIG FISH WERE PULLED AND PLACED INTO

THE COOLER. In fact, Tony reported that the big fish were in remarkable shape, including the 12lber. The fish were released in front

of SEVERAL LOCAL RESIDENTS and LOCAL OFFICIALS. Upon release

three fish were found to have expired at the bottom of the release tank. Jeff Welch along with others monitored the fish after release. They got into the water to recover weak fish that were not likely to survive(including those hanging on the bottom). There was a boat in the water to help out as well. Assesment consists of gill and body color, respiration,etc. We monitored the release site from Sunday to today. Only two fish were found. The owner of the local tackle store monitored the Mexico shoreline across from the release site as well as nearby coves. The TPW gamewardens were present on Sunday to monitor the release site. Over half of the fish that expired or were pulled had been gut hooked. Most of those fish would have expired even if they had been immediately released.

On Saturday there was a total of 31 fish pulled and donated. That is just over 5%. We found two dead fish on Sunday after the event, with

none found on Monday or this morning. The grand total was 33 fish

that were either pulled or expired. After decades of experience and

involvement in actual DELAYED mortality studies, we estimate the

total mortality to be around 8%.

Total dead counted through today, 33.

Note:

The release tank was equiped with oxygen, but even with maximum

output of the pressurized oxygen, the DO dropped from 12ppm to

6.5ppm due to the amount of fish being quickly dumped into the tank.

Tony and his assistants quickly added 3% hydrogen peroxide to increase the DO levels in the tank to optimum levels. DO meters were used to measure dissolved oxygen and temperature in the tank. They did an OUTSTANDING JOB on the release tank!!!!!!! Most of the anglers

did an OUTSTANDING JOB in their livewells.

If you look at the amount and pounds of fish weighed in, it was VERY

comparable to the Elite Series down at Falcon. Most of these anglers

are not professionals, but they certainly did a professional job of caring for their fish. John Mills and Scotts Burris weighed in the second

heaviest sack of fish! I was AMAZED at not only their impressive sack

of fish, but the condition of their fish. They had two fish over nine pounds in the limit and they were all in EXCELLENT shape!

The TBFN south division had their tournament on Sunday. The weigh in

and release was conducted by Tim Cook. They had a three fish limit,

and there were NO FISH REPORTED DEAD! We were not there for the

weigh in and release, (since we decided to do a little fishing ourselves that day), but things went VERY WELL!  There was only ONE FISH FOUND DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!! Folks, this just goes to PROVE that with education, planning, and a little extra work mortality rates don't have

to be high or unexceptable!

Matt, That's what I was talking about when I said that BassChamps know how to take care of their fish.

Thanks Lane.

In retrospect. I was standing outside at the loading dock during the Bassmasters Classic talking and interviewing the pros as they were pulling up to go in for the weigh-in. One of the pros was emptying their livewell and the water coming out was green. The Wildlife guy who was in charge of the holding tank outside came over and asked why the guys water was green. He had never heard of C&R formula. He had no clue that you could add stuff to the water of the holding tank to protect the fish. Now if that doesn't tell us how Bassmasters handles things nothing will.

Your welcome! I thought that it was necessary to give

everyone an accurate account of the mortality results and how the

tournament was handled by the BassChamps staff. Jeff and Chad

run a highly organized operation. We just helped them out a little.

BassChamps conducts the weigh in and

release for the Skeeter Owner's Tournaments, and we are a sponsor of the Skeeter Owner's Tournaments and have been for several years.

Wow!  This is an incredible thread.

Thank you!

8-)

Matt, That's what I was talking about when I said that BassChamps know how to take care of their fish.

Thanks Lane.

I have fsihed Bass Champs, your preaching to the choir.   But if you take care of your fish all day, their jobs are easier.    Again, theirs no comparison to having 2 livewells as compared to the USE OF ONE.

A ambulance is designed and staffed for one patient.    Try shoving 5 patients in there and see what kind of conditions they arrive in with staff for one patient while transporting.  

Like I said, Having two wells over one is different league.    Again, its the anglers responsibility to check his fish often, thats part of the game.

And how many have you fished to base this on.    Cause I have posted great things about Chad Potts and his staff numerous times.      So when you tell someone else thats what I was talking about Matt, it looks as though your butt smooching, cause I can say I have fished BassChamps and have seen first hand?    Can you?   If not, then you are just relaying info that most guys who have fished this trail have alread known long ago.

Hookem

Matt, Accusing Flukermaster of, "butt smooching" is disrespectful and

way out of line! He does fish tournaments, has first hand knowledge

of BassChamps fish care. He also takes extreme care of his catch,

and I have seen pictures of large bass that he has caught and released.

BassChamps is team event, and the TBFN was an individual event.

Planning and adjustments were made prior to both events to ENSURE

that healthy fish were returned to the lake. That is the responsiblity of ANY tournament trail regardless of size or format. Adjusting creel limits or formats are NOT OPTIONAL! These are PUBLIC fisheries NOT PRIVATE LAKES. Last weekend proved that both large and small tournaments can be conducted with minimal impact to the fishery.

Anglers that fished both tournaments were happy, as were the local

residents, etc. Continuing to argue the facts and slamming people is

ludicrous and not productive. Learning from the mistakes of the past

is far more productive than making excuses. At the very least, please

show some respect for the moderators on this forum.

I don't kiss anyone's butt... ever. I always base my opinions on my own experiences and observations. If other tournament directors would just take the time to educate the anglers on how to take care for their catch then delayed mortality wouldn't be an issue. I'm not talking about just one tournament. I'm talking about every tournament.

I have worked the BassChamps tank. I have seen first hand what goes on there. I have been trained by Lane and Tony on how they do things. I have kept 25+lb limits alive in an Igloo cooler during the heat of September in Georgia using what I have learned. I have taught many tournament anglers in my area how to keep fish alive even when the water temps got into the high 90's last year.

I agree that it would be nice to have two livewells but that's not an immediate fix. Nor is it a practical one. The only boat that has two livewells at this point is the new Nitro Z9 Center Console. I don't see any other major boat company considering this. So why argue it. It's not really an option at this point.

Once again we need to educate people on what options are out there and witch ones work and witch ones don't work as well. This is the best fix at this point. I speak highly of Sure Life because they have done years of research and product development with their only goal being to have a live fish long after it's release. They care about the fish we catch more than making a buck. If you don't believe me spend an hour with Lane and Tony.

Sorry Fluke,

I don't get why you make quotes to me.    I have never said anything bad about Bass Champs.    And again, I  fish them as well.

Its not the first quote directed at me.    This has never been personal, not about Lane or anyone else.    .

Sorry Fluke, you tell me where I said anything about BassChamps and why you feel so urged to quote things to me.

I'll let you explain the need to point out something I'm very aware of!

So, what else would be your motivation.   I didn't ask or solict for info?

Again, I have seen the butt smooching term used alot lately, and thought it was appropriate since I hadn't asked or said anything that requirred your pesonal attention.  And it appeared to be okay as it was allowed in other posts.

Sorry Fluke.     Nothing personal to you!    

I hate to even post in this thread but have a couple of honest questions.  

Lane,

From the posts above it's obvious that you care an awful lot about this... beyond it being part of your job.  Having disclaimed that, know that these are honest questions.

how did you arrive at the estimated 3% delayed mortality for this tournament but in the other thread you made an argument that so many fish are never found and so many never float that you can't put a good figure on it.  What did I miss?

You also said the deep hooked c-rig fish would have died anyway... which wasn't argued much in the other thread (at least I didn't see it.)  It sounds like a good percentage of deep hooked c-rig fish were caught in the other tourney and a much smaller % in this tourney, wouldn't that sku the numbers a bit?

I have no doubt you took better care of these fish, but I am trying to understand how the numbers were figured.

Oh, did you get the pics from the other one?

Thanks,

Keith

Flechro,

For one thing, anglers were give concise easy to follow instructions on the care of their fish, and more importantly most of them followed the

instructions. That made the BIGGEST difference in the mortality rates.

As far as C-rigging goes, many of the big fish were caught in less than

10ft of water. Not as many anglers used C-rigging techinques. Most

of these anglers are familar with fishing Falcon.

We have over 25 years of experience with tournaments, and Tony has

been directly involved with mortality studies since the 80's. You can tell what you are dealing with based upon what is brought to the scales

dead combined with careful monitoring and assessment of the fish prior to release and directly after release.  We also monitored the release site for three days after the release. I think you are getting my

posts confused with Matt's. The mortality rate on the Elite Series down

at Falcon was based upon WHAT WAS REPORTED FOUND DEAD over

several days, with day two and three (post release) being reported as the days where many fish were found.

The two fish that I did find after the BassChamps tournament on Sunday morning had almost completely been consumed by buzzards

and Caracara. Some food for thought here.

So to answer your question, we based our mortality rates on the BassChamps event on experience and condition of fish released.

Most of the fish were brought to us in good shape.

Keith, Yes I saw some of the pictures. There were others taken by

a member of the press(national fishing magazine), so I have been asked to hold off until ESPN/BASS has received those photos. I am going to respect that request for now. I will e-mail you as promised

in the near future.

Sorry Fluke,

I don't get why you make quotes to me. I have never said anything bad about Bass Champs. And again, I fish them as well.

Its not the first quote directed at me. This has never been personal, not about Lane or anyone else. .

Sorry Fluke, you tell me where I said anything about BassChamps and why you feel so urged to quote things to me.

I'll let you explain the need to point out something I'm very aware of!

So, what else would be your motivation. I didn't ask or solict for info?

Again, I have seen the butt smooching term used alot lately, and thought it was appropriate since I hadn't asked or said anything that requirred your pesonal attention. And it appeared to be okay as it was allowed in other posts.

Sorry Fluke. Nothing personal to you!

There is nothing personal from me either. I don't mean to make you a target and I should have said that from the beginning. I kinda used you but you could be any tournament angler out there.