Sign in to follow this  
GKramer

How does a pro know when it's time to end a career?

We see it in all the professional sports. A guy leaves on his own terms; another fails to retire when he probably should. I look in the mirror and I know I'm not the stick I was when I was 35 (and that wasn't all that much). There are some guys out there that can't have that many winning casts left. Is our sport, due to greater physical requirements, closer to "sport" than it ever was before?

I know the US Open in the Nevada desert coming up at the end of the month is going to feature some veterans. What do you think? :-/

Bass-Brat, he means fishing, the US Open fishing tournament.

The US Open Golf event has already been played.

Rick Clunn said it best a few years ago at the '06 classic on Toho, after just landed a huge bass Rick remarked many people ask how would I know when it's time to end my career? Holding his hands out still shaking after putting the bass in the live well and answered when they quit doing that!

Rick is 63 ;)

Rick Clunn is the perfect example. He may not be as successful

winning tournaments anymore, but he still keeps his name in the

spotlight. All the big names make their real money through

sponsorship, not tournament winnings.

8-)

A career ending might also be hastened by one's outboard sponsor not making payments. Like Evinrude not paying FLW and getting sued for it (announced Tuesday).

But then, I already have to wait for those "checks in the mail." ;)

Bass-Brat, he means fishing, the US Open fishing tournament.

The US Open Golf event has already been played.

OOOOPS , thanks for setting an "Old Dummy" straight.

I apologize for showing my ignorance.

A career ending might also be hastened by one's outboard sponsor not making payments. Like Evinrude not paying FLW and getting sued for it (announced Tuesday).

But then, I already have to wait for those "checks in the mail." ;)

Do you have a link to that?

Just have this...

News Release

FLW OUTDOORS FILES LAWSUIT AGAINST BRP/EVINRUDE

MINNEAPOLIS (Aug. 11, 2009) FLW Outdoors announced that it has reluctantly filed a lawsuit in Minnesota State Court against BRP/Evinrude for their failure to pay its agreed upon sponsorship fees for the entire 2009 FLW Outdoors tournament season.

Irwin L. Jacobs, Chairman of FLW Outdoors stated, FLW Outdoors has had a long-term sponsorship and working relationship with Evinrude as a premier sponsor of FLW Outdoors and its tournaments. In 2009, FLW Outdoors received confirmation from Evinrude officials both in writing and verbally that Evinrude had agreed to the continuance of their sponsorship with FLW Outdoors at about the same level of sponsorship fees for 2009 as they had in 2008.

Throughout FLW Outdoors' 2009 tournament season, Evinrude's representatives and/or management have participated in all of FLW Outdoors' tournaments. Further, Jacobs stated, FLW Outdoors has fully supported Evinrude's sponsorship throughout the 2009 FLW Outdoors' tournament season. Evinrude has enjoyed all of the same contractual marketing commitments that FLW Outdoors supported Evinrude with in 2008, including, but not limited to, substantial onsite space for displaying and marketing their products at all tournament locations; Evinrude engines installed on half of all FLW Outdoors/Ranger stage and tournament boats throughout all tournaments; signage throughout all FLW Outdoors tournament locations; television commercials on all FLW Outdoors television programming worldwide; magazine advertising; internet marketing and advertising; and heavily-promoted Evinrude on all marketing materials and advertising as part of FLW Fantasy Fishing, an international game worth $10 million in cash and prizes. Yet Evinrude has refused to pay FLW Outdoors any of the amounts it promised as consideration for those benefits.

Jacobs further stated, Not only are we terribly disappointed in the fact that Evinrude hasn't paid any of their agreed-upon sponsorship fees for 2009, but they also haven't paid any of the committed contingency dollars on behalf of their Evinrude Pro Staff anglers through the 2009 FLW Outdoors tournament season. FLW Outdoors has advanced on Evinrude's behalf almost $100,000 to those Evinrude Pro Staff anglers who had cash commitments from Evinrude based upon their performance this season. To date, Evinrude hasn't reimbursed FLW Outdoors a single dollar for the money that FLW Outdoors advanced on its behalf to the Evinrude Pro Staff anglers.  

In nearly 15 years of business and tournament operations, FLW Outdoors has never had to sue a single sponsor for failure to pay their sponsorship fees.

FLW Outdoors, named after Forrest L. Wood, the legendary founder of Ranger Boats, is the largest fishing tournament organization in the world. FLW Outdoors has also taken fishing mainstream with FLW Fantasy Fishing, offering the largest awards possible in the history of fantasy sports.

For more information about FLW Outdoors and its tournaments, visit FLWOutdoors.com or call (270) 252-1000. For more information about FLW Fantasy Fishing and Player's Advantage, visit FantasyFishing.com.

FLWOutdoors.com

They probably left out the part about Evinrude being a creditor in the Genmar Chap. 11 filings too.  I would think that might have something to do with it.  Got to love the spin put on reporting these days.

I remember Rick Clunn saying years ago that once he was not excited about catching fish...time to quit. I remember when Roland Martin retired a few years ago. After a certain tournament, he watched a young pro go right behind him during the tournament and catch fish. That was one of his "signs".

Rick Clunn said it best a few years ago at the '06 classic on Toho, after just landed a huge bass Rick remarked many people ask how would I know when it's time to end my career? Holding his hands out still shaking after putting the bass in the live well and answered when they quit doing that!

Rick is 63 ;)

I remember that, and that is the best answer.

When either he or his false teeth fall out of the boat, it is time to give up the ghost.  :D    :D    :D

People work their whole lives so they can fish when they retire...  Quit when the Arthritis is unbearable...

Unless you are independently wealthy, I suppose the time to end a career is when you stop winning (or placing) and/or the sponsors stop calling.  Or when it stops being fun.