Sign in to follow this  
Scruffy

My First Tourney

I have the pleasure of fishing my first tournament on August 22nd! I can't wait! My partner is the guy who taught me everything i know today, and I would like to know if any of you veteran fisherman have any tips for me? I'm not really nervous, but I don't know what to expect....Thanks in advance

One small bit of advice that cost me a 3 pound deduction and $418 a couple of weeks ago. Make sure both you and your partner know the exact check in time(discuss it with each other) and make sure you give yourselves plenty of time to get back to check in.

I agree, you gotta know the weigh in time!!

Make as many quality cast as you can, meaning make every cast count... Hit your spots and don't waste time in an area that is unproductive..

And most importantly, don't get in a hurry as time get close!!  Take you time working your bait,  slow down and relax..  I've caught a lot of fish with less than 15 mins left..

Good luck and have a good time!!!

yeah, start small. im guessing its a club tournament? if so good. I started out fishing a BASS weekend series. huge mistake. looking back it was a good thing because it was a reality check. but just go out there and fish. you have nothing to prove. you've already proved you have a passion. everyone has great days and horrible days. if you fish and have fun your day will be great. ;D

At that exact instance your entry fee hit the table 80% of your honey holes dried up ;)

DO NOT GO TO THE CHINESE BUFFET THE NIGHT BEFORE!!

x2!

I can only offer 2 bits of advice:

1.  Fish like you normally do. Don't change your ways because it's a tournament.

2.  HAVE FUN!!

Anything beyond that is out of scope for your first tournament.